Wife And Lawyers Appeal To Former Shorts Lifts And Keighley Lifts Workers To Come Forward With Information
The family of a lift engineer, who died of asbestos-related cancer, are marking the first anniversary of his death by appealing for help regarding his exposure.
Michael Patrick Parkinson, known to many as Pat, died three months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a terminal form of cancer linked to exposure to asbestos often decades previously.
Lawyers investigate man's death from asbestos cancer mesothelioma
Following Pat’s death aged 73, his wife Janet, of Bingley, West Yorkshire instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate whether his illness was linked to his career.
As the first anniversary of Pat’s death approaches, Janet 67, and her legal team are appealing for his former workmates to come forward with information.
Details sought on Shorts Lifts in Keighley and Keighley Lifts
In particular they are keen to hear from colleagues who worked with Pat at Shorts Lifts in Keighley between 1963 and 1969 and while he was employed by Keighley Lifts between 1969 and 1970.
During his time at Shorts Lifts Michael would often work in various schools and mills and was also based at Bradford Royal Infirmary and St Luke’s Hospital.
Hannah Robinson, the specialist asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing Janet, said: “Pat’s death is another reminder of the terrible legacy asbestos has created. Understandably Janet and the rest of the family remain devastated by their loss and have a number of questions about how Pat was exposed to asbestos.
“While the use of asbestos is well-known in heavy industry its use was also widespread in public buildings such as schools, offices and hospitals.
“As part of our investigations we would like to hear from Pat’s former workmates who may have information about the conditions he faced.
“Any detail could prove vital in providing Janet and the rest of the family with the answers and closure they deserve.”
Lift engineer diagnosed with mesothelioma
Pat started at Shorts Lifts as an apprentice in 1963. Before his death he told Janet he would often have to go into confined, dirty and dusty spaces to carry out repairs.
He then joined Keighley Lifts for a short while.
After leaving the company Pat, who married Janet in 1976, undertook work in joinery before returning to engineering.
Pat started complaining of trouble sleeping in August 2019. Initially it was thought he may have muscle problems. However, following an X-ray and scan he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in October 2019.
He died on 25 January, 2020.
Wife's tribute following husband's asbestos cancer death
Janet, who has two children, James 40 and Kerry 38, and three grandchildren, Sadie five, Nell, two and one-year-old Enid, said: “Pat was the best husband and dad anyone could have wished for.
“He was never happier than when spending time with his family or out walking with the dog, He had a great love of football – his favourite team being Liverpool.
“The news of his diagnosis came as a huge shock. We hadn’t event started to trying to come to terms with it and what it meant when he died. Pat’s condition went downhill so quickly and it was awful to see him as the cancer took hold.
“Because of this we feel we never really got to say goodbye to him properly.
“The last year without Pat has been a real struggle. We know nothing can make up for his death but we feel we deserve to honour his memory by at least finding out how he was exposed to asbestos.
“We would be so grateful to anyone who came forward with information. Any detail could make all the difference to our family.”
How Pat's former workmates can help
Anyone with information about working conditions Pat faced at Shorts Lifts or Keighley Lifts should contact Hannah Robinson at Irwin Mitchell on 0113 394 6842 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about our expertise in supporting families affected by mesothelioma at our dedicated asbestos-related disease section. Alternatively to speak to an expert contact us or call 0370 1500 100.