Appeal For Information On Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd
The devastated family of a father-of-two from Staffordshire who died from asbestos-related cancer are appealing to his former workmates for help in establishing how he came into contact with the killer substance which claimed his life.
Terry Hackney, 74, from Barlaston died from mesothelioma, a cancer of the lungs associated with past exposure to asbestos, just 14 months after he was diagnosed.
Terry’s family have instructed specialist asbestos-related disease specialists at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illness and how he may have come into contact with asbestos.
The family has now joined with their legal team in marking this year’s Workers’ Memorial Day.
The family of Terry Hackney are now appealing to his former workmates for help with the ongoing investigation. The family is particularly keen to trace anyone who remembers Terry from his time at Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd from 1969 to 2003 or from Bernard W E Webcot (S.O.T) Ltd from 1967 to 1969.
Expert Opinion“Terry was a much loved husband, father and grandfather and his family are understandably still trying to come to terms with their loss.
“While nothing can bring Terry back, the family want to honour his memory by finding out how he came to develop the mesothelioma which claimed his life.
“If anyone who remembers Terry from his working days could come forward, the family would be hugely grateful. Any information, no matter how small could be vital in providing the family with the answers they deserve.” Iain Shoolbred - Senior Associate Solicitor
Terry grew up and worked in Staffordshire all his life. He married his wife Ann in June 1965. They had two daughters and five grandchildren/great grandchildren.
In November 1968, Terry went to work for Josiah Wedgwood in Barlaston, initially based in the purchasing department. Terry said at the time part of the building was demolished and replaced with a larger extension. He told his family that during the works, he wore a mask because of the amount of dust being created.
In 1977, the purchasing department moved to another part of the building and after 16 years, Terry moved into the training department, where he stayed for 19 years until he left the firm in 2003.
He worked with the YTS Scheme and then moved on to providing management training skills, which saw him visit every department throughout the seven Wedgwood factories across Stoke-on-Trent.
During this time, he was in close proximity to kilns and clay dust. The majority were tunnel kilns and they had to be relined often due to damage from kiln ‘car crashes’ that often happened.
Earlier in his career, Terry had worked at Bernard WE Webcot (S.O.T) Ltd from 1967 to1969. The company provided tools to studio potters and as the manager of the supplies division, Terry’s department bought and shipped products.
In May 2017, Terry thought he caught a cold from one of his grandchildren and a few weeks later, began to notice symptoms of breathlessness. Following tests he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in June 2017. He died on 10 August, 2018.
Terry’s wife, Ann, said: “Terry was a wonderful man and to lose him in this way was such a shock. I have lost my best friend, our children have lost their wonderful dad and the grandchildren have lost a grandfather they loved to spend time with.
“What makes his death all the harder is that Terry had always kept himself fit, he had run the Potteries marathon and half marathon many times, he played and refereed local football matches, hiked and climbed mountains; for such a very fit person to be struck by this illness was cruel and we were robbed of our future together and the grandchildren robbed of having him as a role model for their lives.
If anyone out there could help us, we would be so grateful.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Iain Shoolbred at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office on 0121 214 5446 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Workers’ Memorial Day is on 28 April. The day remembers those who have lost their lives through work and campaigns to improve workplace health and safety. You can read more about our client's Patrick and Raymond's stories here: