Public Health England Investigating Illness Linked To Costa Del Sol Resort
A nurse has instructed legal experts to help her gain answers after she was diagnosed with a serious gastric illness following a holiday to the Costa del Sol.
Kristina Bodley, 40, from Hastings, has revealed how she was “devastated” when she developed symptoms including vomiting and an unsettled stomach towards the end of her week-long stay at the four-star Holiday Village Benalmadena, in September.
The issues proved so severe that she sought medical advice from her GP upon return to the UK. Kristina was then stunned when she tested positive for Cryptosporidium – a form of parasitic infection.
While Public Health England has confirmed that it is now investigating the issue, Kristina has also gone on to instruct Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Personal Injury team to look into the matter and help her gain answers as to the cause of the illness and whether more could have been done to prevent it.
The legal experts have vast experience of providing advice and support to thousands of people who have suffered injury and illness during holidays, helping them to access vital financial support to aid their recovery in the process. The team has recovered millions of pounds in compensation from tour operators, including representing over 600 holidaymakers who were affected by illness at the Holiday Village Hotel in Turkey, and over 1,000 people who fell ill following holidays at the Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic. The firm also notably acts for over 50 holidaymakers who suffered illness at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel, Egypt.
Expert Opinion“Cryptosporidium is a microscopic parasite that is often found in contaminated water and which has an incubation period of between two and 10 days.
It is a debilitating gastric illness which can often lead to long term health implications.
We are incredibly concerned by the first-hand account that Kristina has provided regarding her experience at this resort and the illness that she developed.
We are now investigating what Kristina has been through and are determined to ensure that she receives answers as to how these issues could have emerged.
We are also hopeful that our efforts will ensure that, where possible, lessons can be learnt so that others are not affected by similar issues at this resort in the future. As part of our work and to assist with our investigations, we would be keen to hear from anyone else who may also have been affected by illness whilst staying at the Holiday Village Benalmadena resort, Costa del Sol.”
Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor
Kristina’s week-long stay at the Holiday Village Benalmadena, booked through First Choice, began on 15 September 2019. She was coming to an end of her holiday when she developed symptoms on 21 September.
She recalled: “The illness was absolutely awful and it put a real downer on the final day or so of the holiday. I was really struggling and while I was able to travel home I knew I would need to see my GP when I returned.
“Being told I had Cryptosporidium was a huge shock and I couldn’t believe that this could have happened while I was on holiday. It’s the last thing that you expect.”
Kristina added: “I saw a few issues at the resort which concerned me, for example the swimming pool water was often cloudy and the pool itself was fairly slippery. It also seemed like there was mould growing in the pool and around the edges.
“However, despite that, you never expect that you’re going to fall ill during some relaxing time away. I’m devastated by what has happened and I deserve to know whether my illness could have been avoided.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases