Information Sought On Former Aircraft Engine Fitter’s Work History
The widow of a former aircraft engine fitter from Coventry who died of asbestos-related cancer is appealing to his old workmates to establish how he developed the disease.
Wilfred Cecil Price, from Willenhall, died around two months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. A cancer of the lining of the lung, the disease is commonly linked to asbestos exposure, often decades earlier.
Following Wilfred’s death, aged 87, his widow Pauline – who was married to him for 66 years – instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office to investigate his illness and whether it may have been related to his working life.
With their investigations continuing, the legal experts are seeking information on whether Wilfred may have been exposed to asbestos during his employment at the General Electric Company and Bristol Siddeley Engines Ltd, which later became Rolls Royce.
As such, they are keen to hear from anyone who may be able to provide detail on the conditions that Wilfred may have faced during his career.
Expert Opinion“This is yet another tragic case which vividly highlights the terrible legacy that asbestos has created.
“Pauline and the rest of the family remain understandably devastated by Wilfred’s death, particularly how soon it was after his diagnosis. They remain desperate for answers as to how it could have happened.
“We would be very grateful if anyone who may have worked alongside Wilfred or has information on the sites where he was employed could get in touch. Any detail could make a significant difference in establishing the answers that Wilfred’s family deserve.” Alida Coates - Partner
Wilfred – who was known to friends and loved ones as Wilf or Taffy – joined the General Electric Company on Browns Lane in 1954. After five years, he then moved to Bristol Siddeley Engines Ltd in 1959 and remained with the company after it was bought by Rolls-Royce Ltd in 1966.
While he was based at the company’s site in Ansty, his job also involved an element of travel as he visited airfields in Bristol, Derby, Oxford and Cambridge. Based primarily in the rig shop, he told family how he carried out maintenance work on fuel/oil pumps. This meant he would strip engines, undertake repairs and then rebuild them.
After more than two decades with the company, he took early retirement in 1981 and ran the former Co-op stores in Napton on the Hill in Warwickshire until he retired completely in 1995.
He died in December 2018.
His widow Pauline, 89, said: “Wilf was such a wonderful husband, dad, granddad, and great-granddad. Not only did all the family love him but he was well liked in the community and by his many friends.
“Being told about his diagnosis was a huge shock. It was awful seeing how quickly he deteriorated as the cancer took hold. Because of this we feel that we didn’t get to say goodbye to him properly.
“Wilf was never happier than when spending time with his family, grandchildren, and great grandchildren or doing sudoku, crossword puzzles, playing bingo or watching any kind of sport on television. In his younger days Wilf also enjoyed fishing with the local working men’s club in Willenhall. We all continue to miss him so much and still have so many questions about what caused his illness.
“While nothing will change what has happened, we feel we deserve some answers to the concerns we have. We would be so grateful to anyone who has any information about Wilf’s work. It could mean everything in at least providing us with some closure.”
Anyone with information which may assist this case is asked to contact Chris Quigley at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office on 0121 214 5457 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in supporting people diagnosed with an industrial disease at our asbestos-related disease section. Alternatively to speak to an expert contact us or call 0370 1500 100.