Experts Begin Investigations after Issues at Mexican Resort
Frustrated holidaymakers whose special breaks at a Mexican holiday resort were ruined when they developed serious gastric illness have called on legal experts to help them gain answers and justice regarding the problems.
Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Personal Injury team has been instructed to act for eight people in relation to illness problems they endured during stays at the Riu Dunamar resort in Playas Mujeres, in Mexico, in August last year.
Holidaymakers who have contacted the legal experts have raised a range of issues with them, with one requiring several days off work in order to recover from the illness and another outlining how the resort’s pool had to be cleaned after faeces were found in it.
Irwin Mitchell’s specialist team has now commenced its own investigation into the issues, as well as concerns that others may have also been affected by the illness problems.
The legal experts have vast experience of providing advice and support to thousands of people who have suffered injury and illness during holidays, helping them to access vital financial support to aid their recovery in the process. The team has recovered millions of pounds from tour operators including representing over 600 people who fell ill at the Holiday Village in Turkey over successive years between 2009 and 2014, and over 1,000 fell who fell ill following holidays at the Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic in 2007. The firm also notably acts for over 45 holidaymakers who suffered illness at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel also in Hurghada, Egypt, in the summer of last year.
Expert Opinion“We are very concerned by the first-hand accounts provided to us by our clients and are already working to develop a clearer picture regarding what they went through.
“A case like this is a major worry as we have seen time and time again how illness problems of this nature can have a lasting impact on those affected.
“With this in mind, we are determined to help our clients get justice in relation to their experiences and would be keen to hear from anyone else who may have also been involved.” Jatinder Paul - Partner
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases
Among those who have instructed Irwin Mitchell is Malcolm McCloskey, 63, from Fareham in Hampshire. He stayed at the resort with his wife Patricia and daughter Neola for two weeks in the summer of 2018, with all of three of them ultimately suffering from illness.
He said: “Our illness was horrific and my wife’s symptoms were so bad that she needed to go into hospital. That is simply something you should not expect to happen on a luxury family holiday.
“We are all just so frustrated and upset regarding what happened and feel that we want our voices heard.
“I was shocked when I talked to other holidaymakers who were also ill as, although I had seen some concerning issues in relation to the cleanliness of the swimming pool and the hygiene in the restaurant, I never thought I was at serious risk of illness.
“While nothing will change what happened to us, we now just want reassurances that the issues we faced will not be repeated in the future.”