Loved Ones Call On Engineer’s Former Workmates For Help
The widow of a former engineer from Halesowen who died of asbestos-related cancer has joined with specialist lawyers to call on his old workmates to come forward and help her gain justice regarding his death.
Surinder Singh Ruprai died aged 67 after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma – a cancer of the lining of the lung most commonly associated with exposure to asbestos materials.
Prior to his death, father-of-three and loving grandfather-of-four, Surinder, instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he developed the cancer and whether it may have been linked to his work history.
Now, with his family continuing the search for answers in his memory, the legal experts are seeking more information regarding the working conditions Surinder would have faced while employed by Heaton Ward Ltd at the company’s Western Road site in Birmingham from 1970 to 1986.
They are also keen for further details regarding the presence of asbestos after the company was taken over by Birmingham Stopper & Cycle Component Company Ltd. Surinder worked for the latter from 1986 until he was made redundant in 2009.
Expert Opinion“This is yet another incredibly tragic case which highlights the devastating impact that asbestos exposure can have, with Surinder developing the illness many years after his contact with the material is thought to have occurred.
“His family remain devastated by their loss but are keen to gain answers regarding just how he came to be exposed to asbestos. With this in mind, we would be grateful to anyone who can provide information regarding these employers and the working conditions Surinder would have faced.
“Any detail, no matter how small, could ultimately prove vital to our efforts to secure justice for this family.” Satinder Bains - Partner
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases
Surinder moved to the West Midlands from India in 1969 and started an engineering apprenticeship with Heaton Ward Ltd shortly afterwards.
Before he died in March 2016, he outlined to Irwin Mitchell how his apprenticeship lasted four years and he then became a fully qualified engineer. He also revealed his belief that the corrugated roof at the Western Road site was made from asbestos sheets, while he remembered seeing lagged pipework which was in a bad condition.
Heaton Ward Ltd was bought out by Birmingham Stopper & Cycle Component Company Ltd in 1986 and while Surinder undertook the same role, he also recalled using white bricks during a process to melt small components. While he was unsure what they were made of, he noted they were capable of withstanding significant temperatures.
Surinder’s widow Kamaljit, 62, said: “More than two years on from his death, the entire family remain devastated that he is no longer with us. He was a much-loved father and grandfather and everyone misses him so much.
“Surinder was desperate for justice regarding his illness before he died and we feel obliged to continue the fight on his behalf. We would be hugely grateful to anyone who can help us with this, as key information could prove vital to getting answers regarding the illness which took his life.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Satinder Bains at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office on 0121 214 5281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org