Loved Ones Seek Information On Appleby Frodingham
The family of a dad-of-five who worked at a Scunthorpe steelworks for nearly 40 years are appealing for help to establish how he died from asbestos-related cancer.
Victor Marshall died aged 88, just a month after he first developed symptoms including a severe cough, chest pain and nausea.
While chest X-rays before his death highlighted that he had fluid on his left lung, it was only discovered during his post-mortem examination that Victor, of Ashby, Scunthorpe, had mesothelioma, linked to asbestos exposure often decades earlier.
Following the news, Victor’s family including his wife Joyce, aged 85, instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he developed the illness and whether it may have been linked to his work history.
As part of its ongoing investigations, Irwin Mitchell is seeking further information regarding the conditions that Victor may have faced during his time working at the Appleby Frodingham Steelworks between 1952 and 1991.
Expert Opinion“Victor was a much-loved husband and dad whose sudden death has had a profound effect on his wife Joyce, and the rest of the family.
“They remain understandably devastated by his passing and continue to have many questions regarding how Victor developed mesothelioma.
“We are keen to get a better understanding of the roles he was employed in at the steelworks and the general conditions at the site.
“We would like to hear from anyone who recalls working alongside Victor, and who can comment on the use of asbestos at the steelworks.” Simon Webb - Solicitor
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases
Victor and Joyce were married for 61 years. They have five children together.
Irwin Mitchell understands that Victor was primarily involved in working at the coking plant in Appleby Frodingham during his time at the site.
It is believed he worked regularly on coke oven doors, while he may have also used asbestos rope to wrap up the top of batteries.
Victor died on 21 November, 2017.
Joyce said: ‘Victor was the most loving and caring husband and dad anyone could have wished for. We were devastated to lose Victor. What was even harder was how quickly his condition deteriorated and it feels like we didn’t get chance to say goodbye to him properly.
“We were shocked to learn after his death that he had mesothelioma. While we know that nothing can make up for losing Victor we want to honour his memory by finding out how he could have been exposed to asbestos.
“We would be extremely grateful to anyone who could shed some light on conditions at the steelworks and whether Victor could have regularly come into contact with asbestos at the site.
“Any information could ultimately make a considerable difference to our efforts.”
Anyone with information which may assist this case is asked to contact Simon Webb at Irwin Mitchell’s Sheffield office on 0114 274 4277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org