Thanks To Witness Statements His Former Employers’ Were Found Liable For His Illness
A retired vicar, who was diagnosed with asbestos-related disease in 2015, has thanked those who came forward after he appealed to his former Teesside colleagues for help.
Grandfather-of-four Christopher Puckrin, 70, who lives in Leeds but was born in Redcar, developed symptoms including breathlessness before he was informed he was suffering from pleural thickening and then a year later told he was also suffering from asbestosis.
He appealed to his former colleagues in the Middlesbrough area after instructing specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how his illness developed and whether more should have been done to prevent his exposure to the material.
As part of their work, the legal experts investigated the presence of asbestos during the time that Christopher undertook an apprenticeship for Middlesbrough-based Haigh & Ringrose in the 1960s. They were also keen to speak to anyone who recalled the use of the material while he was working at ICI Wilton between 1973 and 1980.
After numerous people came forward having seen Christopher’s appeal, his lawyers at Irwin Mitchell were able to secure a favourable judgement at a hearing into Christopher’s illness. The judgement found that both of his former employers were responsible for his exposure to asbestos and his resulting illness.
Christopher said: “I was absolutely overwhelmed when I was informed of the response to my appeal. I am so grateful to all those who came forward and provided my legal team at Irwin Mitchell with the information they needed for my case.
“All I wanted was for some answers as to how and why I, along with my co-workers, was exposed to the harmful asbestos dust and fibres that caused my illness.
“Now that my former employers have been found responsible for this exposure, I do feel some sense of justice and I want, and need, to thank those who came forward to help my legal team secure this for me.”
Fay Marshall, the legal expert at Irwin Mitchell’s Leeds office who is representing Christopher, said:
Expert Opinion“Christopher’s experiences highlight how asbestos exposure which took place many years ago can go on to affect individuals in later life.
“Due to the in depth information we were provided with, we were able to counter any argument that the defendants put forward. Sadly some people are not as fortunate as Christopher and do not get answers about who was responsible for their illness.
“Without a doubt, those who came forward helped in our investigations and we were able to get those answers for Christopher.” Fay Marshall - Solicitor