Lawyers Back Calls For Former Workmates To Help Battle For Justice
A Macclesfield man who was diagnosed with asbestos-related cancer last year has joined with specialist lawyers to call on his former workmates from several jobs to come forward and help him understand how he developed the illness.
David Rowson, 69, was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung commonly associated with exposure to asbestos, in August last year after visiting his GP complaining of symptoms including breathlessness.
Following the diagnosis, he instructed asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help him gain answers regarding how he came to be exposed to the deadly material, with the legal experts now seeking more information on the working conditions he faced in several jobs.
They are keen to hear from anyone who can shed light on the presence of asbestos when David worked at Percy Rowles & Sons Ltd in 1960, Barracks Fabrics Printing Co Ltd between 1964 and 1965, John Laing Construction between 1970 and 1971 and Cooper Bros & John Clayton Ltd in 1971.
Dominic Hemsi, the Partner and specialist asbestos lawyer at Irwin Mitchell’s Manchester office who is representing David, said:
Expert Opinion“This is another case which demonstrates the shocking legacy that asbestos has had on so many lives, with our client developing the terminal cancer mesothelioma many years after he is thought to have come into contact with it.
“After reviewing David’s work history we have come to believe he could have been exposed to the material in a number of roles. With this in mind, we would be keen to hear from anyone who may have more information on its presence in these jobs.” Dominic Hemsi - Partner
David worked as an apprentice painter and decorator for Percy Rowles & Sons Ltd, where he recalls working closely with plasterers who would be mixing Artex materials made from asbestos and applying it to ceilings. In addition, during his time as a printer at Barracks Fabrics Printing Co Ltd, he believes he worked close to pipework that was lagged with the material.
At the start of the 1970s he was employed by John Laing Construction and specifically recalls working on the construction of the Runcorn Shopping Centre, where again asbestos materials were used in lagging and plasterboards. He also believes he was exposed to similar activities during an eight-month stint as a bricklayer’s mate on the construction of Stepping Hill Hospital for Cooper Bros & John Clayton Ltd.
David said: “My partner Linda and I have been left completely devastated by my diagnosis and now just feel like we deserve to know how this illness has come about.
“I believe that a number of roles I have worked in have seen me come close to asbestos, but if anyone can shed some more light on its presence during these specific jobs it would be hugely appreciated. Any detail no matter how small could prove absolutely vital to my fight for justice.”
Anyone with information related to this case is urged to contact Dominic Hemsi at Irwin Mitchell’s Manchester office on 0161 259 1516 or email Dominic.Hemsi2@IrwinMitchell.com.