Man’s Family Have Instructed Specialist Lawyers To Investigate His Exposure To Asbestos
The family of a former carpenter, who died just a month after he was diagnosed with an asbestos-related cancer, are appealing to his former colleagues for help after instructing lawyers to investigate where and how he was exposed to the fatal asbestos dust and fibres.
Kenneth Syson, from Cambridge, died on 12th October last year, after being diagnosed with mesothelioma in September. Mesothelioma is a cancer affecting the lining of the lungs which is commonly associated with asbestos. It often takes decades for symptoms to appear after the initial exposure.
Following his death, Kenneth’s family, his wife Sylvia and two adult children, Christine and John, instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate Kenneth’s asbestos exposure.
Now, together with their legal team, Kenneth’s family are appealing to his former colleagues at Cambridge University, where he worked between 1969 and 1993 in the engineering department.
Samantha Shaw, the asbestos-related specialist at Irwin Mitchell’s Cambridge office who is representing Kenneth’s family, said:
Expert Opinion“We are keen to get answers for Sylvia, Christine and David, regarding how Kenneth was exposed to harmful asbestos dust and fibres, and uncover whether more could have been done to protect him.
“To do this, we are appealing to anyone who remembers working with Kenneth at Cambridge University, or anyone who worked in the engineering department during the years Kenneth was employed there.
“We are keen to talk with his former colleagues about the presence of asbestos at the University, and how he may have been exposed to it while working.” Samantha Shaw - Senior Associate
The legal team at Irwin Mitchell are also keen to speak to Kenneth’s former workmates at Cambridge Corporation, where he worked between 1958 and 1964, to gain an understanding of his potential asbestos exposure there.
Further to this, his ex-colleagues at CG Whitmore & Son and Gordon Thoday Ltd are also urged to contact the family’s legal team. Kenneth worked for CG Whitmore & Son from 1964 until 1967, and at Gordon Thoday from 1967 to 1969.
David, who also lives in Cambridge, said: “We were all devastated by dad’s death. It all happened so quick after his diagnosis. We were all in shock and are still trying to come to terms with his death.
“Sadly, we didn’t have time to get justice for dad’s illness while he was still with us but we are determined to get it for him now.
“We urge anyone who may have information on the presence of asbestos at any of his former employers to please come forward and contact our legal team at Irwin Mitchell.”
Anyone with any requested information is asked to contact Samantha Shaw at Irwin Mitchell on 0370 1500 100 or email Samantha.Shaw@IrwinMitchell.com.