Lawyers Welcome Trust's Action Plan Implementation
Medical workers for Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust, as well as nurses and GPs elsewhere in the NHS failed to detect live maggots living in an abscess on the leg of 83 year old, Ruth Milne.
Ms Milne’s family and medical staff first noted a “strong, unpleasant odour” in January 2015, however, it was not until June 2015 when she was admitted to Boston Pilgrim Hospital that staff realised that live maggots were under her skin.
Ms Milne died on 10 June 2015, within a day of her admission, from multi-organ failure due to septic shock. It was found that the skin tissue in her legs was highly infectious.
Inquest findings, released in May 2017, raised concerns about the standard of care provided by the medical staff at Ms Milne’s GP surgery and Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust.
The Trust has apologised for mistakes made by staff and stated that following safeguarding investigations, they have implemented an action plan to improve the care that they provide.
Head Coroner for South Lincolnshire Paul Cooper reported within his inquest findings that if the Trust fails to follow their action plan, he fears that there is a risk that future deaths could occur.
Reacting to the story Tom Mather, a Partner and medical negligence legal specialist at Irwin Mitchell’s Sheffield office, said:
Expert Opinion“This truly unfortunate story highlights the need for appropriate review of signs and symptoms and prompt referrals where necessary.
“At Irwin Mitchell, dealing with cases where a patient has died following unacceptable care, we see the impact that this has on their family members. We therefore welcome that the Trust has implemented an action plan to improve the care that they provide and to avoid this happening to another patient." Tom Mather - Partner
Read more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in medical negligence claims.