Expert Industrial Disease Lawyers Investigating Man’s Death From Mesothelioma
The devastated family of a former joiner who died from mesothelioma, a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos, is appealing to those who worked alongside him when building Huddersfield Royal Infirmary to come forward and provide information to their legal team.
Edward Brian King, who was known to his friends and family as Brian, originally from North Wales, died in November 2015 at the age of 81 after a short battle with the terminal cancer. Brian had lived in Huddersfield since 1956.
Before his death he contacted expert asbestos-disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate if more could have been done to protect him from the health risks associated with asbestos exposure.
Brian left behind his widow Beryl and his three daughters Beverley, Susan and Jayne. His daughter Beverly O’Connell, in her 50s, is appealing to her dad’s former workmates for help as she continues the legal case on her father’s behalf.
Brian, a father-of-three and grandfather-of-two, told his family that he recalled coming into contact with asbestos while working for the main contractor on the construction of the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary building in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Huddersfield Royal Infirmary was built on Acre Street, Lindley and the building was officially opened by Harold Wilson, Prime Minister, in 1967.
Brian was unfortunately too unwell to provide further details about his exposure to the deadly dust. His family, along with their lawyers at Irwin Mitchell, are now hoping other people who worked on the construction of the hospital will come forward and provide details.
Anyone who can confirm who the main building contractors were for the construction of Huddersfield Royal Infirmary could help Brian’s family. Anyone with information about asbestos exposure on the site or who remembers working with Brian there is asked to come forward.
Geraldine Coombs, a Partner and expert industrial disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said:
Expert Opinion“Brian’s family was devastated by his death. Beryl and Brian married in 1958 and Brian was a much loved husband, father and grandfather.
“He told his family he was exposed to asbestos whilst working on the construction of the Royal Infirmary in Huddersfield and we hope anyone who remembers working with him at the site or anyone with information about who the main contractors were at the site or the use of asbestos materials there will come forward to help the family.” Geraldine Coombs - Partner
Beverly, from Wiltshire said: “We miss our dad terribly. Mum and dad had been married for 57 years. Dad was a keen cricket fan. He used to play for his local team in Connah's Quay but had to give up playing because of an injury. He was a keen armchair football fan, following Huddersfield Town, Connah's Quay Nomads and Liverpool FC.
“Any information those who worked on the construction of Huddersfield Royal Infirmary in the 1960s can provide will help us to understand what happened to our dad. We believe dad was working for contractors called Tersons Ltd when he was on the site. We want to find out if they were the main contractors on the site.”
Anyone with information should contact the family’s solicitor Geraldine Coombs on 0161 838 3061 or email Geraldine.Coombs@IrwinMitchell.com.
Our expert mesothelioma claims team will provide you with free initial advice on your compensation claim if you or a loved on has been diagnosed with mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure. See our Asbestos-Related Disease Claims Guide for more information.