Law Firm Seeks Electrician’s Former Colleagues To Help With Investigation Into Exposure To Deadly Dust
The widow of a former electrician whose death was caused by asbestos exposure is appealing to her husband’s former colleagues to come forward with information to help in her battle for justice.
Keith Fraser was 63 when he died of asbestos-induced lung cancer on 7 July 2009, leaving behind his devastated wife Sandra along with their son Ivan, now 43, and daughter Joanne, 40, who live in Cramlington, Northumberland.
65-year-old Sandra Fraser is now working with asbestos related disease experts at law firm Irwin Mitchell who are investigating how he came into contact with the deadly dust.
Sandra believes Keith was exposed to asbestos during his work as an electrician at Swan Hunter (Shipbuilders) Limited in Wallsend where he spent about 18 months in the late 1960s to early 1970s.
He also faced similar conditions while working with Tyneside based engineers Campbell & Isherwood Limited again in the late 1960s early 1970s.
Roger Maddocks, an asbestos related disease expert at law firm Irwin Mitchell, said: “We are appealing for information from anyone who worked at Swan Hunter, Campbell & Isherwood Limited during the 1960s and 1970s.
“Asbestos related disease is the biggest occupational killer of all time and cannot be cured. As it can take decades for symptoms to appear, it can be very difficult to confirm the circumstances of the victims exposure so any information we can gain through this appeal could be vital.
“The only thing Keith did wrong was to breathe the air at work, and he should now be enjoying his retirement after a long career. Instead, his family have to deal with their grief after their father and husband was unnecessarily taken from them.
“Although our work will not bring Keith back, it will help bring justice for his family and provide some closure for them after his death.”
Speaking out for the first time since Keith died, Sandra said: “Three years on, it is still hard to take that Keith’s death could have been avoided with better protection from the asbestos dust. His employers knew the risks but seemingly gave him and his colleagues little help at all.
“We had so much planned for our retirement, and it was just a real shock when we were given the news that it was something from so long ago that was now causing him to suffer so much. We just hope that some of his colleagues will come forward with information so that we can get the answers we need.”
Anyone able to help should contact Roger Maddocks at Irwin Mitchell on 0191 279 0104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.