Expert Calls For Investigation In Relation To Safety Concerns
Product liability experts at Irwin Mitchell have called for a full investigation to be carried out after it was confirmed that retailer Spar has launched a recall of a batch of its Flame Grilled Chicken Chunks.
The supermarket company has confirmed that listeria bacteria was found during routine testing in some 140g packs distributed in the Midlands and Wales with a use-by date of March 3rd.
No reported cases of sickness have been linked to the products, but Spar have confirmed that anyone who has concerns related to the items should return the packs to its outlets for a refund.
Listeria bacteria can cause serious gastric illness such as listeriosis, which can cause symptoms including vomiting and diarrhoea.
David Urpeth, Partner and product liability specialist at Irwin Mitchell, acts for people who have suffered serious health problems as a result of illnesses contracted through the consumption of contaminated food products.
He said: “Spar’s action to launch a recall is a positive step, but it is vital that this issue leads to come consideration of the procedures in place to prevent products containing threatening bacteria from reaching the point of sale.
“Our experience has shown that illness problems arising from consumption of contaminated food can be very serious, so it is vital that lessons can be learned which will ensure consumers are better protected from any possible risks.
“Modern lifestyles mean that many people rely on pre-prepared and processed foods. It is vital that consumers can have total confidence with the safety of such products.”
Our specialist personal injury solicitors will provide you with free initial advice on your compensation claim if you have suffered as the result of a defective or faulty product. View our Product Liability Claims page for more information.