Lawyers Urge Bosses To Make Health Of Employees Their ‘Number One’ Priority
Leonard Eyre, who lived in Hackenthorpe, Sheffield, died from asbestos related cancer mesothelioma in February 2011 aged 78.
He worked in the 1950s and 60s as a floor tiler laying flooring made of a mixture that included asbestos which when applied threw up clouds of dust in the air. He also worked at Hyde Park Flats in Sheffield removing asbestos floor tiles and replacing them with new tiles.
His son Mark Eyre said: “To know my father died because of illness he suffered while carrying out his day to day work was just devastating. He was never given any warnings about the dangers of asbestos, and never provided with any masks to stop him inhaling the dust despite the fact that he was often on his hands and knees removing asbestos tiles from the floor.
“I hope Workers Memorial Day reminds employers of the need to protect their workers from any dangers to avoid unnecessary injuries or illness from just doing your job. Sadly nothing can bring my father back but I just hope things can be improved so that others do not have to suffer the pain of losing a family member because of the work they did.”