Specialist Asbestos Disease Lawyers Appeal to Plumber’s Former Colleagues To Help Investigation
The devastated widow of a former plumber who died of asbestos related cancer just weeks before he was due to retire is appealing to his former colleagues to help with an investigation into where he came into contact with the deadly dust.
Roger Horsfield, from Newfield Green in Sheffield, died of lung cancer in October 2010 aged 65, leaving his wife Christine, and two daughters distraught and looking for answers.
An inquest in March 2011 found evidence of asbestos exposure and the coroner found this was likely to have contributed to causing the lung cancer, recording a verdict of Death Due to an Industrial Disease.
Now, Christine has asked asbestos related disease experts at law firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate where her husband came into contact with asbestos dust during his career working as a plumber and heating engineer.
Roger worked as a plumber at Sheffield Corporation Public Works Department from 1961 to 1967, Foster Wheeler from 1967 to 1969 and Eric C Flower Ltd from 1968 to 1995 and lawyers would like to speak to any of his former colleagues who can give evidence about the working conditions and possible contact with asbestos.
Simone Hardy, a workplace illness specialist at Irwin Mitchell’s Sheffield office said: “Plumbing and heating engineers were often exposed to asbestos dust from lagging insulation on pipe work and boilers and it is possible Roger was exposed to asbestos during his employment at these companies whilst working on different sites. I’d like to hear from anyone who worked at the companies listed, and who knew Roger, and can provide information about working practices and the presence of asbestos.
“Asbestos is the biggest occupational killer of all time and the majority of people now suffering from this awful illness were negligently exposed to asbestos by their employers many years ago.
“Roger’s devastated family understandably would like answers about why he’s no longer with them so they can begin to move on with their lives.”
Christine, aged 62, said: “Roger and I thought we had many happy years of retirement ahead of us and my daughters and I have been left devastated by his early death. We had so much we still wanted to do together.
“He had difficulties breathing and suffered a great deal due to his illness before he eventually passed away. It was heartbreaking for us all to watch.
“Nothing can bring him back to us but we just want to get to the bottom of where he was exposed to asbestos. If anyone remembers working with him, I urge them to come forward and help us.”
Anyone who is able to help should call Simone Hardy at Irwin Mitchell on 0870 150 1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.