Appeal Launched For Vital Information
The devastated widow of a former Bridgnorth factory worker who died of an asbestos-related disease has launched an emotional appeal to win justice for her husband by asking people who worked with him to come forward with vital information.
Terence Amos (who was called “Terry” by family and friends), was 70 when he died. He is believed to have been exposed to deadly asbestos dust during his employment with London Aluminium Co Ltd and Star Wrought Products Ltd, both of which have since ceased trading.
Mr Amos, who lived in Bridgnorth, Shropshire was diagnosed with mesothelioma; a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos, in November 2008 and sadly died 16 months later on the 27 March 2010.
An inquest held by HM Deputy Coroner for Wolverhampton, Mr Smillie in July 2010 confirmed that Mr Amos had died from an industrial disease.
With the help of specialist lawyers at Irwin Mitchell, Terry’s widow, Romary, is now seeking people who worked with her husband who may be able to provide additional information as to how he came into contact with the lethal fibres.
She believes his health problems were caused by two possible sources. He worked for London Aluminium Co Ltd based in Witton, Birmingham between 1956 and 1960. He returned to the company in 1961 when they had moved to Heathmill Lane, Wombourne in Staffordshire and he stayed with them until 1971. His job was as a metal spinner and involved working with asbestos lined furnaces. There was also an occasion when he was responsible for dismantling sheds with corrugated asbestos roofs. It is believed Mr Amos was also exposed to asbestos during his employment with Star Wrought Products Ltd based on Stanmore Industrial Estate, Bridgnorth between 1971 and 1973 where he worked as a supervisor of factory staff.
Commenting on her husband’s death, Romary Amos said: “Terry and I had been married for 35 years. When we were told about his diagnosis we were both completely devastated. This terrible illness took him so very quickly and he suffered a great deal in the last months of his life.
“My husband worked hard all his life and to know that his work was ultimately responsible for his death is hard to bear. Our family have also been devastated by his death and we are all desperate to see justice is done.”
Kim Barrett, a workplace illness expert with Irwin Mitchell solicitor’s Birmingham office, is representing the family. She said: “Even in the 1960s and 70s employers knew of the risks associated with asbestos and the dangers of inhaling lethal fibres.
“Mesothelioma is an asbestos related cancer for which there is sadly no cure. Although it can take upwards of 20 years from exposure to onset of the illness, once diagnosed it can be very aggressive and painful.
“In order to help his widow conclude her fight for justice, I am particularly keen to hear from workers from London Aluminium Co Ltd in Witton and Heathmill Lane from 1956 to 1971 and Star Wrought Products Ltd workers in the Bridgnorth area from 1971 to 1973 as they may have key information about the presence of asbestos and working practices at these premises.”
Anyone who can help with any information is asked to contact Kim Barrett at Irwin Mitchell on 0370 1500 100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our expert mesothelioma claims team will provide you with free initial advice on your compensation claim if you or a loved on has been diagnosed with mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure. See our Asbestos-Related Disease Claims Guide for more information.