Specialists Calls For Businesses To Get Wise To Dangers
An asbestos specialist at Irwin Mitchell has welcomed the fine given to a construction firm prosecuted after a woman’s possessions were contaminated with the deadly material during renovation work.
Abbott and Mason Building and Joinery Contractors Ltd of Mansfield was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,741 over the incident in February last year, when staff also left asbestos materials outside the sheltered housing complex in West Bridgford where they were working.
The firm was working on a project to remove asbestos insulation board from the bathroom of Mrs Ann Jenkins when a warden at the building noticed the problems. The 94-year-old woman was relocated following the discovery.
According to the Health and Safety Executive, the firm were aware of the presence of asbestos but failed to manage it in the correct manner, meaning workers, the client and the public were placed at risk.
Adrian Budgen, a Partner and expert in asbestos-related disease claims at Irwin Mitchell, said the incident was deeply concerning.
He outlined: “On so many occasions we have seen how exposure to asbestos can have massive consequences on people.
“We represent a large number of victims, as well as many families, who have been devastated by mesothelioma and related illnesses as a result of exposure to the material in both industrial and public buildings.
“Asbestos is known to be the biggest occupational killer of all time and lessons need to be learnt from cases like this one if its deadly legacy is ever going to be brought to an end. I hope that all construction firms recognise the importance of providing workers with the right information related to the handling of the material.”