Exclusion Zone Established Following Concerns Over Blaze
The dangers of using asbestos as a building material have been highlighted by a fire at an industrial estate in Scotland yesterday (June 15th), an expert at Irwin Mitchell has outlined.
Fire and rescue services set up at a 200-metre exclusion zone when a fire broke out at the Biggar Road Industrial Estate in Cleland, North Lanarkshire, after they discovered gas cylinders, chemical materials and an asbestos roof on the affected unit.
The concerns over the building meant that residents living in homes close to the estate were evacuated as a precaution. No one was injured.
Irwin Mitchell represents clients who have been injured or fallen ill following industrial accidents, as well as those who are suffering serious illness as a result of exposure to asbestos.
Elaine Russell, a Partner and asbestos specialist at the firm’s Glasgow office, said it was a relief that no one was hurt.
She outlined: “This incident highlights the potential dangers that can emerge when asbestos has been used in the construction of buildings.
“Asbestos is known as the biggest occupational killer of all time, with those who have been negligently exposed to it suffering serious illnesses including the lung cancer mesothelioma.
“Thankfully, the necessary measures were in place in this scenario to ensure no one was exposed to the material.
“However, the precautions taken highlight just why it is vital that companies are fully aware of the dangers of asbestos and the terrible consequences that exposure to the material can have.”