Three Workers Hospitalised Following Incident
An investigation needs to be carried out after three workers were taken to hospital after suffering breathing problems while using a chemical cleaner, an expert at Irwin Mitchell has advised.
The workers in Edinburgh were affected by fumes while cleaning toilets at Imperial Docks yesterday morning (June 1st) and one man had to be treated at the scene for respiratory difficulties.
All of those involved were taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh as a precautionary measure, while the cleaning chemical involved was removed.
Elaine Russell, a workplace illness expert at Irwin Mitchell, represents a number of people who have suffered health problems due to safety failings at work.
Commenting on this incident, she said: “It is a major concern to see reports of what happened in this case, as questions have been raised over the guidance and protective equipment provided to support the employees.
“Handling chemicals carries plenty of risks and respiratory problems caused by fumes from hazardous substances can often have a long-term impact on sufferers.
“I hope that an investigation can get to the bottom of what occurred and in turn identify any potential safety failings which may have led to the problems.
“The health and safety of workers should always be a priority for employers and those involved in this incident will understandably want answers as to how they came to suffer respiratory problems.”