Two Men Injured In Blast
A workplace injury expert at Irwin Mitchell has called for answers following an explosion at a garage in Birmingham which left two people serious injured with burns.
Emergency services have revealed that they attended the scene in Selly Oak on Saturday afternoon (July 23rd), where it is believed the blast may have been caused by a propane gas cylinder.
It is believed that while one man suffered burns of up to 30 per cent in the incident, the other is in a critical condition at the city’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital after suffering around 70 per cent burns.
Stephen Nye, a Partner at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office, acts for a number of people who have suffered serious injuries as a result of incidents in the workplace.
Commenting on this incident in Selly Oak, he said: “Comprehensive health and safety measures and extensive employee training are essential in hazardous environments, particularly so when volatile substances are being used, or are stored in the workplace.
“Clearly this is a major incident, which will require full investigation by the Health and Safety Executive. This will hopefully determine the exact cause.
“Two people have sustained what are evidently very serious burns and clearly had others been present, further casualties would have been inevitable.”