Search Begins For Former Colleagues
The son of a former Longbridge employee, who died after being exposed to asbestos, has launched a search for former colleagues who may be able to help in his battle for justice.
79 year old John Amos, from Rednal, Birmingham, was diagnosed with mesothelioma - an incurable asbestos related cancer of the chest – in May 2009 just days before he died on 22 May 2009.
An inquest into Mr Amos’s death was held on 3 December 2009 and HM Coroner for Birmingham, recorded a verdict of industrial disease. Mr Amos leaves behind his two children and four grandchildren.
Now his family are determined to fight for justice and have launched a search to find ex-workmates who may be able to provide additional information regarding working conditions at Rover, Longbridge.
Mr Amos was a tool setter and worked for the company for most of his working life. He started working at the British Motor Corporation Austin Division, Longbridge on 16th September 1968 and finished work at Rover Cofton Hackett on 6th May 1992.
Workplace illness expert, Alida Coates from Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, is representing Mr Amos’s family in their legal battle for justice. She said: “We have pursued a number of successful claims against The Rover Company for asbestos-related illnesses, but we ideally need someone who worked with Mr Amos to confirm the circumstances in which he came into contact with asbestos.
“Mesothelioma is an asbestos related cancer for which there is sadly no cure. Although it can take upwards of 20 years from exposure to onset of the illness, once diagnosed it can be very aggressive and painful. Its effects have been tragic for John and also for the family he leaves behind.
“In order to gain justice for the Amos family, we are trying to trace former colleagues who may be able to recall working conditions at the time. I would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who worked for Rover, at their Longbridge plant, who has knowledge of the use of asbestos on site which Mr Amos is likely to have come into contact with, whilst employed by the company.”
Mr Amos’ son, Lindsay, commented: “Prior to this illness, Dad had always been such a fit and active man. He enjoyed dancing and spent many nights at the Longbridge and Rover Social clubs.
“He loved sport and played football for many years. He played for Austin All Stars football team with colleagues who included J. Bowmaster, B. Irish, A. Aitken, V. Pailing, T. Smith, N. Deeley, A. Jackson, R. Hill, F. Bolton, K. Barrett, G. Davis, K McCoughley, A. Drakesford, J. Wakeman and J. Roach. He also played cricket for many years for Friends Hall Cricket Club and enjoyed golf, and bowls.
He first became ill in 2009 when he began to suffer from breathlessness. At first we didn’t think it was anything to worry about but then he started to get chest pains.
“He underwent a series of tests and finally, in May 2009, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. We were all absolutely devastated by the news and his death has come as a huge shock to the whole family.”
Anyone who can assist with information concerning asbestos working practices at the Rover site in Longbridge, should contact Alida Coates at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors on 0370 1500 100 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org