Sellafield Nuclear Plant Worker Dies From Asbestos Exposure
A leading industrial illness lawyer has won justice for the family of a man who died after being exposed to asbestos whilst working at the Sellafield nuclear plant.
John Scott was 76 when he died of Mesothelioma, a form of lung cancer caused by exposure to asbestos, in June 2008. He worked for the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority from 1958 until 1993 as an electrician, chargehand electrician and eventually as foreman.
His nephew, Joseph Cunningham, of Stockport, instructed Isobel Lovett from Irwin Mitchell, to pursue a claim against the company, now known as Sellafield Ltd. She secured a settlement to the value of £57,500.
"Exposure to asbestos was simply an everyday occurrence for Mr Scott – he was routinely exposed to the deadly substance as its dust particles hung in the air around him,” Isobel said.
"He was particularly exposed whilst working in the AGR and Calderhall areas of the plant where asbestos lagging was used on pipework. Whenever this was disturbed – or when new asbestos insulation was applied – vast amounts of dust would be thrown into the air.
"His employers failed to provide any respiratory protection that would have stopped him inhaling the fibres and dust – when you consider that it only takes a single asbestos fibre to cause Mesothelioma, you can see the gamble that employers took with the lives of their workforce.
"Nothing can bring back Mr Scott but we are pleased to have achieved justice for a family that was robbed of a loved one whose only crime was spending his life working hard."