Travel Lawyer Urges Swift Investigation
Specialists in travel law at Irwin Mitchell have expressed concerns over reports of a tourist dying after a suspected case of food poisoning in Jamaica.
The holidaymaker from Argentina was rushed to hospital in Kingston but was pronounced dead on arrival. Ten other tourists were also taken to hospital for treatment.
It is believed that all of the holidaymakers had eaten fish and potato salad before showing any symptoms of illness. Jamaican health ministry workers are now examining samples of the meal.
Clive Garner is head of travel law at Irwin Mitchell. He said it was vital that authorities work quickly to find the cause of the problems. Mr Garner explained: “While it has not yet been confirmed if it was food poisoning, from what we know at the moment, this is the most likely cause of the illnesses.
“If food contamination is the cause serious questions will have to be asked about the prevailing quality of hygiene standards and the foodstuffs used.
“Sadly we do see fatalities caused by food poisoning. While thankfully fatalities are rare, each case is tragic and they have a terrible effect on the friends and family of the deceased.
“We deal with many more cases of food poisoning every year when people are very seriously ill and left with long-term health problems.
“I hope that, whatever the outcome of investigations in Jamaica, lessons are learnt from this tragic incident to ensure others do not suffer in a similar manner in the future.”