Firm Fined Over Workplace Incident
The need for employers to follow all guidance in relation to the handling of chemicals has been highlighted a recent fine handed out to McDonalds, according to a workplace safety expert at Irwin Mitchell.
Wandsworth Council took the fast food company to court over an incident in 2008 which saw a man employed as a maintenance operative use an acid-based cleaner without being trained in its use and without the correct assessments being undertaken.
The employee used a bottle of the cleaner on a blocked waste pipe, but as it did not have an effect he was then given money to buy a second.
Worker Injured In Chemical Accident
Once the second bottle was poured into the pipe, its contents blew back into the face and the eyes of the man, leaving him with facial burns and only 55 per cent vision in his left eye.
David Urpeth, who specialises in accident at work claims for Irwin Mitchell, said: “This awful incident raised a number of questions over the supervision and training provided to staff.
“Health and safety guidance exists to specifically help employers avoid incidences like this, where their employees are at potential risk of harm.
“More specifically, the handling of chemicals is potentially dangerous and policies on their correct usage should always be communicated fully to those undertaking tasks involving them.”