Mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure
The daughter of the former Lorival Plastics employee who died from mesothelioma in 2008 is appealing to other people who worked at the firm in the 1960’s to come forward and help in her battle for justice.
Edna, who was 68 when she died, lived on Boscow Road in Little Lever, and came into contact with the deadly material, asbestos, while working for Lorival Plastics Ltd, Bolton in the 1960s.
Her daughter, Jill Blake has now instructed law firm Irwin Mitchell to help her investigate her belief that it was her mother’s time at the factory that caused her to develop mesothelioma, a type of cancer caused by asbestos.
The company, which has since gone out of business, was based on William Street, Little Lever, and was a major employer in its heyday, with hundreds of staff. It manufactured battery cases, toilet cisterns and other injection-moulded plastic products.
It is believed asbestos was used in the factory to manufacture toilet cisterns and Jill is hoping other workers will be able to give information about her mother’s job role.
Jill said: “I was only a young girl when mum worked at the Lorival factory and believe she may have worked as a time and motion monitor.
“I am appealing for anyone who can shed more light on what my mother did in the factory to come forward and contact my solicitor. Through no fault of her own she was exposed to asbestos and suffered a terrible illness. She leaves behind three grandchildren and we all miss her terribly,” she added.
Anthony Barlow, a solicitor who specialises in asbestos claims at Irwin Mitchell in Manchester, and is representing Mrs Blake, commented: “Edna was exposed to asbestos and suffered from a painful and debilitating condition which was ultimately responsible for her death. We are appealing for help from any of Lorival’s former employees who remember Edna.
“Over 2,000 people are diagnosed with mesothelioma every year and it is a disease that affects women as well as men. Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that is almost always caused by asbestos exposure. It does not respond well to treatment and treatment options are limited. Employers have a duty to take precautions with asbestos. There is no safe type of asbestos and no safe level of asbestos exposure,” he concluded.
Anyone who can help with any information is asked to contact Anthony Barlow at Irwin Mitchell on 0161 838 3059 or email Anthony.firstname.lastname@example.org.