Asbestos Lawyer Speaks Out About Dangers To Pupils And Teachers
Children have been unable to start their new term after asbestos was discovered at a school in Greater London.
St Peter's CE Primary School, in Teddington, will remain closed until Wednesday after the toxic material was found in a boiler room during a survey of the building.
The Somerset Road school had undergone building work during the summer break, in preparation for an expansion in pupil numbers in September 2010.
A warning to parents was posted on the school's website which said: "We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, but as I am sure you will agree our priority in such circumstances is always the safety and welfare of our pupils and staff at all times."
Copyright © Press Association 2009
Caroline Pinfold, partner in Irwin Mitchell’s industrial disease Team of national law firm Irwin Mitchell, has recently brought a successful claim on behalf of the widower of a teacher who died from mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos in the schools where she taught.
She said: “It is important for those working in schools to be aware of the risks from asbestos and vitally important for all asbestos to be identified and registered so that the necessary steps can be taken to prevent both staff and pupils from being exposed to this in the future.”
If you or a loved one has been affected by an asbestos related illness, our solicitors can help you to claim compensation. See our Asbestos Claims page for more information.