The widow of a Coventry man who died after being exposed to asbestos is appealing for her husband's former work colleagues to come forward to help in her legal battle for compensation.
74 year old Eric George Cooke died on 30th April 2007 from mesothelioma, a fatal asbestos related cancer. It is believed that Mr Cooke may have been exposed to asbestos dust and fibres whilst working for Coventry-based Hall Brothers from 1956 to 1965.
Mr Cooke, known as George to his work mates, was employed as a bench joiner and at the time of his employment the company was trading as Walsgrave Joinery. The joinery shop was at the time situated in Henley Road, Walsgrave Coventry and has since been converted into a furniture store.
Mr Cooke's wife, Ann, says: "My husband lived a very active and healthy life. He was always a busy man and after he retired from work he continued his interest in woodworking which he had always loved.
"His health first began to suffer in 2006 and he had lots of tests at hospital. It was not until 5th January 2007 that he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. Following the diagnosis, Eric's condition continued to worsen and he passed away on 30th April 2007.
"This terrible illness took him so very quickly. He suffered greatly in the last months of his life and I miss him terribly."
An inquest into Mr Cooke's death took place before the Coroner for the County of Warwick, on 13th July 2007 and a verdict of death from industrial disease was recorded.
Tariq Khan, a solicitor with the Birmingham office of national law firm, Irwin Mitchell, is representing Mrs Cooke in her legal claim for compensation. He explained: "It is believed that during Mr Cooke's employment he came into contact with asbestos dust when sheets of asbestos were brought into the joinery shop and ripped into strips for applying to soffits and under the eaves of houses.
"Mr Cooke died from an industrial disease. Although no amount of money can truly make up for the debilitating illness from which he died, it is vital in order to obtain some financial recompense, that people who have information concerning the working practices at Hall Brothers or Walsgrave Joinery between 1956 and 1965, come forward."
Anyone who is able to help in this matter can contact Tariq Khan at Irwin Mitchell via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on 0870 1500 100.
If you or a loved one has been affected by an asbestos related illness, our solicitors can help you to claim compensation. See our Asbestos Claims page for more information.