Exposed to asbestos
The widow of a man who died after being exposed to asbestos is searching for ex-colleagues who worked alongside him, to come forward and help her in her legal battle for compensation.
66 year old Alan Sampson from Coleshill, Birmingham passed away on 11 January 2008 from mesothelioma, the fatal asbestos related disease. An inquest heard by Aidan Cotter at Birmingham Coroner's Court on 18 August 2008 found that his death was due to an Industrial Disease.
Mr Sampson leaves behind two adult sons and his wife, Dorothy. The couple had been married for 44 years. Following an operation in 1997, Dorothy had been in ill health and she had relied upon Alan as her main carer.
Mrs Sampson commented: "Alan had been in such good health until he was diagnosed with asbestos-related cancer. Before he was diagnosed, he was my rock. He suffered terribly in the last months from this cruel illness and without him I barely exist."
Mr Sampson is thought to have been exposed to asbestos dust whilst working for several local companies, including Metro Cammell, a firm known to have used asbestos during the manufacture of bus and train coaches. Mr Sampson worked at the firm's Elmdon site in Marston Green from 1957 to 1958.
Later, whilst working for Jackson Brick Works, Stonebridge from 1959 to 1960, Mr Sampson worked as a 'bogie pusher' for the brick manufacturing company where his father and brother were also employed. As part of his duties, Mr Sampson was expected to regularly sweep out the brick drying room which was lined with asbestos sheeting.
It is believed that Mr Sampson was also exposed to asbestos in the early to mid 1960's during his employment with Walker Homes on Coventry Road in Birmingham as a site labourer.
Iain Shoolbred, a workplace illness expert with Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, who represents Mr Sampson's family, said: "We are appealing for Alan's former colleagues from Metro Cammell, Elmdon, Jackson Brickworks and Walker Homes to come forward to provide us with information relating to his work history.
"I know that Alan wanted to make sure that his wife, Dorothy, would be provided for after he passed away. Any information from his former colleagues would be a great help in assisting us to obtain some justice for his family."
Anyone able to help in this matter can contact Iain Shoolbred at Irwin Mitchell on 0370 1500 100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you or a loved one has been affected by an asbestos related illness, our solicitors can help you to claim compensation. See our Asbestos Claims page for more information.