Thomas Cook Salmonella Holiday
A couple from Gosport, Hampshire are taking legal action against Thomas Cook after their two week holiday to the Maldives in June 2008 was ruined by severe salmonella poisoning.
Doreen Dodd (51) and her husband Paul Dodd (52) jetted out to the Holiday Island Hotel after a year of saving for the exotic holiday. However, it soon turned into a traumatic ordeal after Mrs Dodd developed a severe illness during the second week of their holiday.
Mrs Dodd fell ill with severe diarrhoea, vomiting, weakness and loss of appetite.
Mrs Dodd said: "On one occasion I attempted to join my husband for breakfast, but on the way to the dining area I began feeling very hot and started sweating profusely. This was followed by cramps. My husband managed to help be back to the bungalow, where I collapsed onto the bed. I didn't eat anywhere but at the hotel during the holiday, so I can only assume that my salmonella poisoning must have been caused by the food served by the hotel."
As a result of her illness Mrs Dodd had to seek medical treatment whilst abroad. The doctor confirmed that she was dehydrated and prescribed Mrs Dodd with a number of drugs including; antibiotics, anti-diarrhoea pills, anti-nausea pills, Dioralyte and pain killers.
On return to the UK Mrs Dodd went to visit her GP and after tests it was revealed that she has salmonella poisoning. She is still seeking medical treatment due to still suffering from the symptoms.
Suki Chhokar, a partner specialising in travel litigation with law firm Irwin Mitchell said: "This has been a very distressing experience for Mr and Mrs Dodd. Salmonella is a serious illness which can lead to long term and even permanent Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and yet it can be avoided quite easily by following basic food hygiene procedures. We have written to Thomas Cook with details of our clients' claims and we want full and fair compensation for our clients. If not, formal legal action is most likely to follow."