Boy died after inhaling his own vomit
An inquest begins today to investigate the circumstances in which a nine-year-old boy from Carlton, near Goole, died after inhaling his own vomit during an epileptic seizure after an ambulance arrived to take him to hospital.
Kienen Sharp suffered from epilepsy and learning difficulties. On 30 December 2008 Kienen’s parents, Siobhan and James Sharp, called an ambulance after he suffered from an epileptic seizure at home. Kienen vomited in the back of the ambulance outside his house and shortly afterwards went into respiratory and cardiac arrest.
Paramedics were unable to revive Kienen and he was declared dead at Pinderfields Hospital later that evening.
Beth Reay, a Solicitor in the Medical Law and Patients’ Rights team at law firm Irwin Mitchell, is representing the family. She said: “The findings of the inquest will provide Kienen’s family with much needed answers regarding the circumstances surrounding his untimely and tragic death.
“His family including his parents, Mrs Siobhan Sharp and Mr James Sharp will be attending the inquest and are extremely concerned about how and why Kienen died.”
Since their son’s death Siobhan and James Sharp have set up a charity, The Kienen Sharp Epilepsy and Special Needs Trust, to raise funds for other children with similar needs.