Illness at the Huduranfushi Island Resort
A luxury break to the Maldives in February and March 2008 turned into a nightmare for a group of British holidaymakers who suffered severe gastric illness at the Huduranfushi Island Resort in the Maldives.
At least 5 couples have reported suffering from illness after staying at the 4 Star Huduranfushi Island Resort along with other problems with the resort including power cuts and the water at the hotel being cut off.
The Huduranfushi Island resort has recently been refurbished and changed its name from the Lohifushi.
Mark (42) and Julia Pooler (44) from Trowbridge, travelled with Thomson Holidays (TUI) to the Maldives hoping for a luxurious break to celebrate their 25th Wedding anniversary. This holiday was also a celebration after Mr Pooler had a recent Cancer scare, he received the all-clear and the couple wanted to celebrate his good news.
However their holiday was ruined when they both fell ill with diarrhoea, severe abdominal pain and vomiting only a few days after arriving. Their symptoms became so severe that the couple had to be admitted to hospital for intense medical treatment.
Mrs Pooler said: "We are now glad to be back in the UK, but have not yet recovered from our symptoms. The food at the hotel appeared to be left uncovered with new food simply being added to existing food. We were also shocked to find flies around the restaurant, landing on the food."
Suki Chhokar from International Law Firm Irwin Mitchell is representing the group. He said, "It is of great concern that a number of guests at this hotel have reported an outbreak of serious gastric illness. Several of our clients required hospital treatment and some are still suffering symptoms of illness several weeks after their initial infection.
"Proper application of simple health and hygiene measures can normally prevent outbreaks of gastric illness and we have already lodged claims for compensation against the British Tour operators who organised our clients' holidays."
Mr Chhokar continued "In 2003 we represented 121 holiday makers when a similar outbreak of illness at the Meerufenfushi Hotel led to us winning £450,000 in Compensation on behalf of our clients."
Mr Chhokar concluded "We urge anyone who has been similarly affected to come forward."