Illness at Cuban hotel
A couple from Sunderland had their dream holiday to Cuba ruined after both of them became ill only days after beginning their all inclusive trip.
Kimberley Dixon (26) and her boyfriend Darren Snowball (23), from Tyne & Wear in Sunderland, booked the 16 day all inclusive holiday at the Grand Caribe Cojimar Hotel in Cuba through tour operator Thomas Cook.
Both Miss Dixon and Mr Snowball suffered from severe gastric related symptoms including stomach cramps, high temperature, vomiting and headaches. Mrs Dixon’s symptoms were so serious that she had to get medical attention whilst on holiday.
Upon returning from their trip Miss Dixon consulted her local GP and tests confirmed that she was suffering from Salmonella poisoning.
Miss Dixon said “Our whole holiday was a disaster; we were both so ill that what was meant to be a relaxing break just caused us even more stress.”
“The food at the hotel was inedible; it was left uncovered for long periods at a time, and we do not think it was at the correct temperature.”
Prette Sudera, from the travel law team at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, who is representing the couple in potential legal action against Thomas Cook said “This is a very serious case of food poisoning; our clients were on a well earned break to Cuba and were looking forward to sampling the local culture and having a relaxing time.”“However Ms Dixon was infected with a serious illness which continues to cause her great discomfort and distress. We believe this has been on account of basic health and safety standards being ignored.”