Super Club Breezes, Barcelo Punta Cana Hotel illness
A family from Basingstoke are taking legal action against their tour operator following illnesses they sustained while staying in the Dominican Republic during October 2006.
Mr Mark Compton (38) from Basingstoke, Hampshire his wife Julie (36) and their two children Callum (7) and Kerys (4) had booked their family holiday to the Super Club Breezes Punta Cana Hotel in the Dominican Republic through the tour operator, First Choice.
At the time of the booking Mr Compton was unaware that the Punta Cana Hotel had a history of prior problems including a large outbreak of illness amongst guests in 2005.
Their lawyer Amandeep Dhillon from travel law specialists Irwin Mitchell said "We are currently investigating legal action against the tour operator, First Choice, on behalf of the Compton family for the distress that was caused by their illness. We are also continuing a large group action on behalf of other holidaymakers who stayed at the same hotel in 2005. We are surprised that the Compton family were not made aware of these previous cases."
The Comptons were eagerly anticipating a relaxing and enjoyable break in the Dominican Republic which was a double celebration. The trip was to celebrate Mr Compton's birthday and the wedding anniversary of friends who were also holidaying at the same location.
Punta Cana Hotel "infested"
According to the family when they arrived they found the resort was infested with ants and flies and during their time at the hotel they had noticed faeces floating in the outdoor Jacuzzi. They also claim that the hygiene in the hotel was sub-standard with food being left uncovered in the restaurant which allowed insects, flies and wasps to attack the food.
On the third day of their holiday Mr and Mrs Compton's daughter fell ill with extreme diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps. Two days later Mr Compton fell ill with similar symptoms and by the sixth day of the holiday the illness had affected the remaining two members of the family.
History of hotel illness outbreaks unreported by First Choice
Mr Compton said "The holiday was an absolute nightmare and a complete waste of money. I am shocked that the hotel we were sent to by First Choice has a history of illness outbreaks and that makes me all the more angry we were sent there."
Mr Dhillon from Irwin Mitchell solicitors continued, "We are very concerned to see reports of illness occurring again at this particular hotel. This is not the first time we have had to represent holiday makers who have suffered serious illness while staying there. First Choice has admitted liability in respect of the claims we are already pursuing and compensation payments are being finalised. We are also pursuing compensation claims for another 50 clients who holidayed in 2005 with other English Tour Operators at the same hotel and suffered illness.
"Many of those taken ill, including children and the elderly, complained of vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach cramps and although many victims have fully recovered, some clients were so badly affected that according to medical experts, they may never make a full recovery.
Hotel name changed from Super Club Breezes to Barcelo Premium Punta Cana
Mr Dhillon added We understand that the name of this particular hotel was changed part way through the Compton's holiday from Super Club Breezes to Barcelo Premium Punta Cana. It is a hotel with a history of problems but we are not sure why the hotel name was changed or the reasons behind the timing of it. We have had reports of other guests at the Hotel who have suffered illness and unsatisfactory conditions and we urge other holiday-makers who have stayed at the Super Club Breezes/Barcelo Premium Punta Cana hotel to come forward and contact us if they have been affected by illness
If you or someone you know has been affected by illness at this resort, or anywhere abroad, our experts can help. Fill in our online claims form for free legal advice.