Accidents and illnesses suffered abroad
The family of a Doncaster man who died after contracting legionnaires disease whilst travelling on business overseas are taking legal action in Italy against the hotel where he stayed, and which they claim was the source of his fatal infection.
Mr Irving Parry, who was 62 when he died, travelled to Italy in November 1999, staying at the Garden Hotel in Savona. On his return to the UK he complained of feeling very tired and suffering from a loss of appetite.
After resting over the weekend he returned to work, but complained of feeling alternately hot and cold. As his symptoms did not improve he went to the doctor who took a blood test. His condition deteriorated until, just one week after his return from the trip, he could not even stand up and was delirious.
He was admitted as an emergency to Doncaster Royal Infirmary where he remained for treatment in the intensive care unit.
It was confirmed that he was suffering from legionnaires disease. Tragically, despite all efforts, Mr Parrys condition deteriorated and he had to be put on a life support machine.
His widow Susan (62) and son Adrian (41) were advised by the doctors that there was no hope left and the life support machine was eventually turned off on Christmas Eve of 1999.
Following the failure of repeated attempts to negotiate a settlement for the claim Susan Parry, and Adrian Parry, are now left with no other option than to pursue legal action against the hotel in Italy for Mr Parrys illness and death. Another individual who stayed at the hotel around the same time also contracted legionnaires disease.
Court proceedings have recently been issued in Italy and the hearing into the matter is due to take place in December.
Susan Parry said losing my husband of over thirty six years in this tragic way has destroyed my life. The whole experience was extremely traumatic for me and my son, Adrian. We would not wish anyone else to suffer in the way we have.
Susans solicitor, Anna Brown of national law firm Irwin Mitchell which specialises in cases involving British travellers who have suffered illness or accidents abroad said this is a tragic loss of life which could have been avoided if the proper procedure and guidelines relating to prevention of legionella infection had been followed by the hotel.
Hotels need to realise that simple health and hygiene procedures can often be the difference between life and death.