Exposed to asbestos
A Newbury man died because he was exposed to asbestos more than half a century ago at Aldermaston's Atomic Weapons Establishment.
Desmond George Florence, 80, died at Reading's Royal Berkshire Hospital on January 11 this year. The cause of death was pulmonary heart disease, brought about by pulmonary fibrosis which resulted from asbestos exposure.
His son Colin told a Reading inquest: "Back in 1953 to 1955 he was doing work in the boiler house at Aldermaston. Pipes were lagged with asbestos and it was his job to paint it."
Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford said: "I see the same types of occupation coming up time and time again in these cases, and the building industry is one of them."
He recorded a verdict of death from the industrial disease of asbestosis.
Mr Florence's family are launching legal action for damages against the Ministry of Defence.
If you or someone you know has been effected by asbestos, our solicitors can help. Visit our Asbestos Claims section.