Exposure to asbestos
A man was taken to hospital for a hernia operation - and discovered he had contracted a mysterious and deadly form of cancer.
Peter Nicholas Wilkinson, had been admitted to hospital last July after tearing a hernia at work.
However, an inquest at Leamington Town Hall on Friday heard that tests revealed Mr. Wilkinson, of Apple Grove, Bilton, had contracted mesothelioma - a disease common among people with prolonged exposure to asbestos.
And after undergoing treatment - including chemotherapy and radiotherapy - in a bid to fight the disease, Mr. Wilkinson died 14 months later.
Suffering from mesothelioma
After being diagnosed with a hernia tear, he was admitted to the Hospital of St. Cross for surgery.
However, during the process he developed breathing problems and the procedure was aborted.
Further tests revealed he was suffering from mesothelioma, a cancer which attacks the lining of the body's internal organs.
He underwent chemotherapy and radiotherapy and initially his condition stabilised, unfortunately his condition deteriorated and he was admitted to Myton Hospice in Warwick in August and died on September 2.
Can we help you? If you or someone you know has been affected by a similar incident please visit our asbestos related diseases section to see how we can help you.