We helped 29 people who stayed at the Camino Del Sol Hotel, Cabarete in the Dominican Republic in summer 1997 claim compensation after they fell ill.
A breakdown in food hygiene procedures at the hotel caused all of the holidaymakers to fall ill with gastric illness, ruining their holidays. Tests later showed that 1 holidaymaker had been infected with giardia and another had contracted shigella. The holiday infections caused 17 of the holidaymakers to develop permanent Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
JMC Holidays Ltd (now trading as Thomas Cook Tour Operations Ltd) admitted liability and following settlement negotiations we recovered compensation of more than £314,000 on behalf of our clients. The highest award, for the most seriously ill of our clients, was almost £29,000.
Mr Maguire, his wife and their 2 children went on an all-inclusive holiday to the Camino Del Sol Hotel. Just 3 days into the holiday, Mr Maguire fell ill with gastroenteritis, including very unpleasant symptoms of diarrhoea, abdominal pains and stomach cramps.
His symptoms continued for the rest of the holiday and when he got home he was too ill to return to work straight away. Mr Maguire has never regained full health and he has been told that he has developed permanent Irritable Bowel Syndrome. His symptoms affect his social life and he has developed intolerance to certain foods. Following negotiations with the Defendant compensation was agreed at more than £20,000.
Mr Maguire commented after the case, “I am happy with the outcome for my claim and I feel that Irwin Mitchell's pro-active approach in this matter will help protect other individuals from being exposed to such disastrous holidays in the near future. I appreciate all that they have done for me.”
If you or loved one has suffered from food poisoning whilst on holiday, our personal injury claims team could help you to secure compensation. Visit our Holiday Food Poisoning Claims page for more information.
Back to Client Stories