Irwin Mitchell can represent you in all types of licensing matters whether applying for a new licence, varying an existing licence, appealing a decision to refuse an application or fighting enforcement action.
Our legal fees
Please note our fees exclude VAT.
|Application for a new premises licence
|£1,600-£1,800, plus disbursements (see below)
|Application for a minor variation of an existing licence
|£1,200-£1,500, plus disbursements (see below)
Disbursements are payments to third parties, and may include:
- Premise Licence application fee: £100-£1,905 (depending on rateable value of premises)
- Personal License application fee: £37
- Application for minor variation: £89
- Application to transfer premises licence: £23
- Application to vary Designated Premises Supervisor: £23
- Plan fees
- Advertisement in local press
- Firearms certificate fee: £62-200.
If the work required does not fit the service carried out on the above fixed fee, we can discuss an alternative pricing structure and fees involved.
The application process will depend on what license or change you are applying for, but in general:
- You may need to successfully complete a training course before you can apply for a license
- You may need request a criminal records check
- Complete and send off your application
- There may be a waiting period while the licensing authority checks your information and collects any objections
- You may need to advertise your application so people can register any objections
- If you meet the criteria, your information is correct, and there are no objections, you receive your application.
This just a general guide and the exact process for your application may be different. We'll advise on how your application will progress once we've heard more details during a consultation.
How Long Will My Application Take?
The amount of time licence applications take depends on:
- What you're applying for
- How quickly you provide the required information and documentation
- How quickly the licensing authority processes the application
- Whether there are any objections.
Applications for new alcohol licenses typically take 2-5 months and applications for betting/gaming licenses typically take 4-5 months.
The time taken to resolve taxi licensing and shotgun licensing matters also varies.
Our solicitors can advise on an estimated resolution time for your matter once we've heard more details during a consultation.