The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS) can provide financial support to those who are unable to make a compensation claim. This means that you could claim funds for your asbestos-related illness even if your employer’s insurer can’t be found, or in the event that your former employer is insolvent.
Who Can Claim Under The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme?
You might be entitled to claim under the DMPS if:
- Your disease was caused by employment in the UK
- Your application is made with three years of your diagnosis or onset of symptoms
- You haven’t already made a civil claim for your mesothelioma
- You’re unable to trace the employers responsible for your exposure (or their insurers)
- Your mesothelioma diagnosis was made after 25 July 2012
- You’re the dependant of someone who has died from mesothelioma (and they were diagnosed within the last three years).
We have a track record of making successful applications under the DMPS. By choosing our specialist asbestos lawyers to help, you’ll benefit from us:
- Completing and submitting an application to the DMPS on your behalf
- Contacting a medical expert to get proof of your mesothelioma diagnosis
- Preparing a detailed witness statement about your exposure
- Searching the employers’ liability insurance database.
If the DMPS has any questions about your application, we can make sure that they’re answered quickly and can also make appeals on your behalf if your application is refused.
How Long Will My DMPS Application Take?
In successful DMPS claims, you should receive funds within six weeks of your application being received, as long as all of the requested information is attached to your application.
You should get a letter from the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme to notify that you will receive a DMPS award. This amount will then be sent straight to your bank plus the money needed to pay for any legal costs. If requested, they can also send your payment via cheque.
Are There Any Costs?
The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme provides £7,000 to cover your legal fees. This will be sent to you directly so that you can pay any costs that you incur while submitting your application.
The cost of any work that we do on your behalf will be calculated using our standard hourly rates but this amount will not exceed the £7,000 that the DMPS provide. Using our asbestos lawyers to apply for the scheme means that you can take advantage of our expertise and experience to make the process as stress-free as possible.
What If My Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme Application Is Unsuccessful?
In the event that your application is unsuccessful, you won’t have to pay any legal fees for our work. We can also question why your application has been refused and, if we feel that these reasons are unfair, we will make an appeal to the DMPS.
Will Claiming Affect My Other Benefits?
If you receive compensation under the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme, the following benefits can be affected if you or your partner are claiming them:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Working Tax Credit
- Council Tax reductions.
However, you can still receive Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) under the following circumstances:
- You're in employment
- You receive State Pension
- You receive Employment and Support Allowance
- You get Incapacity Benefit/ Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
Contact Us For More Information
If you have any queries about the DMPS or any other benefits that relate to your illness, contact us free today on 0800 056 4110.