I am an Associate Solicitor, specialising in working with both adult and child clients who've sustained brain or spinal cord injuries. I joined Irwin Mitchell in 2007.
I work within the Serious Injury team in Sheffield and manage a caseload of high value, complex serious injury claims.
I am experienced in securing substantial interim payments in order to implement multi-disciplinary rehabilitation packages, to adapt accommodation, to purchase specialist equipment and to provide professional care support for my clients.
Some of my recent cases include:
- A young lady who sustained a severe brain injury and multiple serious orthopaedic injuries when she was hit by a speeding car as she walked along a pavement. I dealt with complex issues such as immigration status (involving our Public Law & Human Rights department) and instructing our Court of Protection team as the client lacked mental capacity. The Official Solicitor was involved as Litigation Friend due to complex family dynamics. We implemented a rehabilitation package including providing brain injury specialist case management services, professional care support, neuro-occupational therapy and neuro-physiotherapy. The claim settled for £1.3m.
- An elderly lady who required a below knee amputation as a result of a road traffic accident. The claim settled for £1m, to pay for the client's care support, extensive adaptation to her home and her prosthetic needs for the remainder of her lifetime.
- Extensive work undertaken in relation to a young girl who sustained a spinal cord injury in a road traffic collision. She was left tetraplegic. The defendant denied liability in full and the case went to a 3 day High Court trial. We were successful and secured damages on a 100% basis for our client. We then undertook a substantial amount of work to evidence our client's lifetime requirements and settled the case for, on a capitalised basis, over £12m. This figure included an annual sum to be paid to our client to pay for her care and case management needs for the rest of her life.
- I acted for the family of Ann Veal, a woman who tragically died from her injuries after her stairlift collapsed.
- I helped Dean Hutton, a man who suffered a serious brain injury when he was left in a police cell for 10 hours after being assaulted with a metal bar. This case received coverage on ITV, the BBC and in newspapers.
- I represented Rosie Mayes, a young woman who was paralysed in a car crash. This case also had widespread press coverage on the BBC, ITV and in newspapers.
- I acted on behalf of Jade Denton, a young woman who suffered a serious brain injury in a car crash. Jade secured more than £1m in a life-long care package. This case was covered by the Sheffield Star.
"Irwin Mitchell have been amazing! They have kept me in the loop the whole time and reassured me when I was going through the hardest times! I would very much recommend them! Stacy Clements is a credit to the company!" - 5* Trustpilot review
"I was extremely satisfied with the service from Irwin Mitchell and definitely made the correct decision to use them. I would not hesitate to use their services again and would highly recommend them to anybody who was unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident that was not their fault. I had contact with Sarah Hatton, Sarah Parkin, Stacy Clements and Michaela Longland throughout my case and I am forever grateful for the great work they all did. They made me feel completely at ease from start to finish when I was recovering from injury which really meant so much to me." - 5* Trustpilot review
"Kerry and Stacy were incredibly helpful with my case and kept in regular contact with me about developments." - 5* Trustpilot review
What Inspired You To Get Into Law?
I applied to study law at university after my dad suggested it would be a good path for me to take. I followed his advice and have never looked back!
What Is The Most Rewarding Aspect Of Your Role?
I love to see our clients flourish and start to rebuild meaningful lives for themselves after such serious injuries. It is a privilege to be a part of supporting individuals and their families through that process, and help play a part in securing their long term futures.
What Do You Like About Working At Irwin Mitchell?
I enjoy working with a network of passionate, experienced and motivated people, both in terms of my immediate colleagues in the serious injury team in Sheffield and the wider firm. We are able to benefit from the expertise contained within our public law, Court of Protection and family departments, amongst others. This allows us to properly and thoroughly support our client in all aspects of their claim - and indeed their life.
What Do You Do Away From The Office?
I have two young daughters who keep me very busy! My husband and I love to head into the Peak District and hike. I really like to bake too.