I am an Associate Solicitor based in our London office. I completed my training contract at Irwin Mitchell and qualified into the Medical Negligence team in 2012. I have specialised in supporting those who have suffered injuries through medical negligence ever since.
I deal with a wide variety of cases including birth injuries (cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy), delay/failures in treatment of spinal injuries (including Cauda Equina Syndrome), delay and failures in the treatment of strokes and negligently performed surgery. I also assist clients who have lost loved ones due to errors which could have been avoided in their medical treatment.
I have experience of taking cases to Trial and appeal.
I have lectured to the medical profession on clinical negligence issues and been published in PI Focus magazine.
Cases I have settled include:
- £2.45million lump sum plus £404,000 periodical payments achieved for a catastrophically injured teenage boy with limited life expectancy.
- £1.12 million award achieved in a fatal case following the death of a 62 year old man.
- Admission of liability in a case involving a stroke in a 32 year old pregnant woman as a result of anaesthetic negligence during surgery which subsequently settled for a six figure sum.
- £500,000 settlement in a case involving a perforation of the bowel during abdominal surgery where liability was contested by the Defendant Surgeon in full.
- £400,000 for a settlement for a client who sustained an Erb’s palsy injury as a result of substandard care at birth.
- £125,000 achieved for a Professional Rugby player client who sustained injury as a result of a delay in diagnosing a fractured tibia where liability was denied by multiple Defendants.
What Inspired You To Get Into Law?
From a young age I had an interest in law (probably inspired by a few too many episodes of Ally McBeal in its late nineties heyday). When I was studying at university I couldn’t quite see myself doing corporate or commercial law, I knew that I wanted to act for the underdog and help them win and this is one of the reasons I became a claimant medical negligence lawyer.
What Is The Most Rewarding Aspect Of Your Role?
It is both rewarding and important for me to achieve the best settlement possible for my clients which can enable them to rebuild their lives. I am proud to have helped so many people over the years and am passionate about helping clients at what is usually a very difficult point in their lives.
What Do You Like About Working At Irwin Mitchell?
Irwin Mitchell is a team of experts who are all passionate about helping people who have been injured through no fault of their own. I trained with the firm and it was clear from day one how committed everyone is not only to achieving fantastic results for our clients, but also to rehabilitating injured people - it is at the heart of everything that we do.
What Do You Do Away From The Office?
Outside of work I can usually be found running around after my two young sons, drinking good coffee or watching bad TV!