Paul is head of the northern Regulatory and Criminal Investigations group.
In nearly 30 years, Paul has acquired a wealth of experience conducting high profile, sensitive and serious cases. His skill set has been developed over many years dealing with the full range of criminal law matters and the broadest spectrum of clients. Many of his cases have been high profile and reported. Over the last decade, Paul has focused on corporate crime, cartel offences, corruption, regulation and compliance and on related civil matters.
Paul has acted for individuals, public figures, companies and other organisations. He is increasingly being sought out to assist in either conducting internal inquiries or to protect the interests of corporate clients who are subject to such inquiries from regulatory or prosecuting authorities.
He has a proven track record in avoiding or defending prosecutions by all the leading authorities (including SFO, OFT, FCA, CPS, HMRC and HSE). Commercially aware, Paul receives increasing instructions in matters where there is a criminal and civil law overlap.
- Conducted internal corporate investigation into civil fraud, health and safety and an assessment of a multi-million pound commercial dispute.
- Successfully resisted the first of a series of extradition requests from Dubai.
- Defended in a Trading Standards cross-border advanced fee fraud.
- Defended in an SFO prosecution for fraudulent trading and asset stripping.
- Defended a number of SFO prosecutions for advanced fee and boiler room frauds.
- Instructed in an FCA prosecution for collective investment schemes.
"Paul Haycock has a wealth of experience in fraud cases. He leads his team from the front and is a reassuring face for clients." – Legal 500, 2021 (Leading Individual)
"Paul Haycock is an elder statesman of the fraud world. He is an obvious name to call on when in trouble, and conducts himself with honesty and integrity." – Legal 500, 2020
Paul is "experienced, commercial and very sensible" and has "vast experience of defending financial crime, fraud and regulatory investigations" – Legal 500 2016
Sources say he is "very conscious of his clients' needs" and praise his "bullish" approach. – Chambers & Partners 2015