Kate is our Head of Pension Documents and has been providing pensions legal advice to sponsoring employers and trustees of occupational pension schemes for 35 years. Although she advises on all aspects of pensions law, and the regulatory environment within which registered schemes operate, she specialises in drafting pension scheme documentation and providing technical support.
She started her career working for benefit consultancies but has worked for law firms since 1998.
She is a fellow of the Pensions Management Institute.
- Preparation and agreement of scheme governing documentation for multinational food manufacturer’s UK pension arrangements
- Acting for the trustees of a defined benefit occupational pension scheme providing legal advice, member literature and documentation during a liability reduction exercise undertaken by a marine liability insurer
- Provision of advice on establishing salary sacrifice arrangements covering employee pension scheme contributions
- Advising trustees in relation to member disputes and Pensions Ombudsman cases
- Provision of advice to trustees and preparation of documentation to de-segregate the defined contribution sections of a housing association pension scheme
- Preparation of a suite of GDPR compliance papers for occupational pension schemes
- Provision of legal advice on GMP equalisation to trustees of defined benefit pension schemes
- Provision of legal advice to trustees on historic administrative and drafting errors
Kate Byers is a "Rising Star" – Legal 500, 2021