Jon is a partner in our national Banking and Finance team. He has more than 15 years' experience in banking and finance transactions, with a particular focus on asset based lending, invoice finance, inventory finance, supplier finance and distribution finance. His work covers international and syndicated transactions as well as domestic arrangements.
Jon works with funders on portfolio issues and reviews, from distressed situations and restructuring to growing businesses and he consequently works closely with professionals within the wider finance industry, including corporate finance professionals, insolvency practitioners and intermediaries.
He has also advised a number of financiers on new products and product development, including the drafting of standard documentation as well as structuring bespoke and novel facility and security arrangements. Jon has developed a number of products that are designed to help funders and borrowers alike to assist with making available appropriate funding solutions to the SME market, from commoditised advice for borrowers to systemising processes for funders.
- Advising an Australian bank on the provision of a bespoke international distribution finance product to a well-known electronics manufacturer and distributor with potential to globalise the facility up to £350m of annual turnover.
- Advising on the terms of a €200m US and European (UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland) asset based lending agreement for HSBC Bank PLC and HSBC Invoice Finance (UK) Limited.
- Assisting HSBC Invoice Finance (UK) Limited and HSBC Bank PLC to provide overdraft and debt purchase facilities to a distribution technology specialist in England, Ireland, France and Germany.
- Acting for ABN Amro on a multi-million pound asset-based lending facility to assist in £30m the acquisition of automotive supplier Covpress Limited.
- Acting for a UK high street bank in relation to a syndicated receivables real estate and inventory facility provided to a national logistics company within the automotive sector.
- Advising the asset based lending division of a UK high street bank on a £4.3m extension to existing facilities to enable a customer to purchase site for relocation purposes.
"Jon Bew clearly [understands] our requirements and are important partners to our business." – Legal 500, 2020
"Clients appreciate his ability to think outside of the box and impart knowledge in a way that somebody who is not a lawyer can understand." – Chambers & Partners, 2018
Jon "has an excellent manner in terms of communicating and offering practical and workable solutions." – Chambers & Partners 2017
Jon "brings a very rounded and detailed resource to the deal team" and is "excellent at picking out commercial imperatives" – Legal 500 2016
"Jon Bew is a recognised force in asset-based lending matters in the Midlands. Clients attest: 'Jon is very good at giving us both the true legal position and balancing that against the commercial reality of stuff. We have very much benefited from his commercial experience'.” – Chambers & Partners 2016
Clients assert that not only is he "an expert in the field," but he is also "exceptionally responsive and available" –Chambers & Partners 2015
"instils confidence with his forthright, practical and commercial advice" – Legal 500 2014