John has been part of the Regulatory and Criminal Investigations team since 2011. He has over 15 years’ experience of helping people facing serious criminal and regulatory matters.
Before qualifying as a solicitor John was an account manager for several leading companies, giving him solid experience working with directors and business executives. This experience means he brings a unique perspective to his work, understanding first-hand the kind of problems his clients face.
John also has considerable experience of handling interviews under caution, and of dealing with all types of investigations brought by UK investigatory bodies. These include, among others:
- Local police forces
- Financial Conduct Authority
He also regularly assists clients who appear before the Magistrates’ Court.
Risk Management and Compliance
John has a reputation for looking at the finer details of a case and for his calming influence in anxious situations.
His background helps those who are looking to defend allegations of any nature, and also those seeking assistance with risk management and compliance. His meticulous approach and experience surrounding disclosure and privilege is also helpful to corporate clients who need to launch an internal investigation into wrongdoing within their company.
- In a landmark bribery and corruption case, John assisted in preparing the defence of an individual whose former employers agreed a Deferred Prosecution Agreement with the Serious Fraud Office. This case (which involved issues surrounding disclosure, privilege and a delegated investigation) was the first trial of its kind where the defendants were acquitted.
- Advised a former financial adviser who was prosecuted for a large number of forgeries.
- Advised a family business after an employee stole money from them, liaising between both the business and the Police as part of the investigation.
- Represented and advised a pharmacist who faced a General Pharmaceutical Council panel following inappropriate conduct towards staff.
- Advised a psychotherapist who faced an investigation by the UK Psychotherapy Council after allegations of inappropriate conduct.
- Took over the defence of an individual who had been convicted of stealing from her employer. John had to build a comprehensive picture around the source of the loans involved in this case, and also bear in mind recent legislative changes in this area of law.
- Handled complicated submissions on behalf of a convicted former financial adviser with a complex financial background.
- Represented clients in relation to allegations of supplying drugs, charges which were later reduced to a single count of money laundering. This was part of a number of related cases which concerned large scale drug trafficking in the North East and North West of England.
- Represented an individual facing wounding and sexual assault allegations – ‘groundwork’ laid during the interview process assisted in the withdrawal of the sexual aspects of the case at Court.
- Advised the former director of a seed wholesaler who was suspected of tax evasion. The investigation was discontinued.
- Assisted with the defence of a manufacturer in Sheffield who was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after a machine fell onto a member of staff.
- Defended a lorry driver charged with driving without due care and attention following a minor road collision, and also put forward an argument which allowed the driver to keep his licence.