James is a Partner in the Corporate team in London. He advises both private and public listed companies on a wide range of domestic and international transactions, including AIM and Main Market listings, mergers and acquisitions, disposals, venture capital and private equity investments, joint ventures and reorganisations.
James has a particular focus on the technology sector and advises clients across the full breadth of their lifecycle, from start-up to exit.
Being a fluent Spanish speaker, James is also well-disposed to Iberian clients doing business in the UK.
- Advised the Corporate Adviser and Broker on the placing, subscription and admission to the Aquis Exchange (AQSE) of Voyager Life plc. Voyager offers a range of health and wellness products containing CBD and hemp seed oil
- Advised the Nomad on the admission to AIM of 4basebio UK Societas, a life sciences business that focuses on therapeutic DNA for gene therapies and DNA vaccines
- Advised Canadian/US listed PopReach Corporation, a free-to-play game publisher focused on acquiring and optimizing proven franchises, on its acquisition of substantially all of the assets relating to the 'Peak - Brain Training' app from Brainbow.
- Advised Escape Hunt Plc, an international provider of escape rooms, on its £1.4m placing
- Advised the vehicle managed by global wealth management business, Skybound Capital, on the acquisition of financial planning firm, GWM
- Advised restaurant group, Various Eateries plc, on its £65m admission to AIM
- Advised the Corporate Adviser on the admission to the Aquis Exchange (AQSE) of TruSpine Technologies plc, a medical device business in the spinal stabilisation market
- Advised Escape Hunt Plc, an international provider of escape rooms, on its £4.3m placing, open offer and loan note issuance
- Advised Telappliant, a UK-based cloud services provider, on the acquisition of managed services provider, Amica Technology, a leading provider of IT MSP and Web services in the South of England.
- Advised the shareholders of Flight Calibration Services Ltd (FCSL) on the disposal of FCSL to Literacy Capital Plc, with the manager shareholders remaining involved with the business. FCSL provides testing and calibration on behalf of airports for ground-based navigational aid systems
- Advised the Corporate Adviser and Broker on the £4m placing and admission to the Aquis Exchange of The British Honey Company (BHC). BHC owns a number of spirit brands, including the premium brand, Keepr’s, with an established market presence through supermarkets such as Waitrose, Majestic and Amazon as well as specialist outlets, including Not On The High Street, Masters of Malt and HT Drinks
- Advised on the sale of Telsis, a developer of UCaaS solutions for small to medium size enterprises, to AIM-listed Gamma, a leading supplier of voice, data and mobile products and services in the UK
- Advised the Corporate Adviser on the Admission to the NEX (now Aquis) Exchange of Greencare Capital, an investment company identifying opportunities in the rapidly changing regulatory environment surrounding legal Medicinal Cannabis as well as within the Hemp and CBD wellness sectors
- Advised Snowplow Analytics on its £4m investment from MMC Ventures. Snowplow developed unique software enabling businesses to collect and own their customer data, gaining deeper insight into their customers’ behaviour
- Advised HANetf, Europe’s first independent, full service, third-party provider of UCITS Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), on its 2017 seed round and 2019 series A round
- Advised the selling shareholders on the sale of Thomas Exchange Global, a London based retail foreign exchange (FX) business, to Irish financial services group, Fexco, now the largest independent FX operator in the UK
- Advised life-sciences company Destiny Pharma on its £70 million admission to AIM
- Advised the Council of Mortgage Lenders in relation to its integration into a new UK-wide trade association for the finance and banking industry
- Advised the selling shareholders on the sale of Engage ESM, a leading provider in the enterprise-service management sector and a ServiceNow Gold Services Partner, to Paris listed Atos, a global leader in digital services
- Advised Uniplaces on its £15m Series A fundraise, one of the largest Series A fundraisings in Europe that year
- Advised Eastleigh-based Hendy Group on the purchase of the Lifestyle Motor Group in a deal which created a group with more than 1,000 employees. The combined group operates 12 motor franchises at 25 locations and boast an annual turnover of £560m.
“The Irwin Mitchell team, led by James Paton-Philip, was excellent throughout the transaction. The team members worked tirelessly and around the clock to support and guide us successfully through the deal. They have an impressive work ethic and manner, meaning that it was an absolute pleasure and delight to have worked with each and every person at the firm who contributed to getting the transaction over the line. We couldn’t be happier and wouldn’t hesitate in recommending their services to any future potential client.” – the sellers of Thomas Exchange Global
James is described as being “responsive, accessible, client-focused” and he is "noted for his expertise in the technology sector" – Legal 500, 2017
"What all start-up ventures really need is high quality professional assistance and advice. With James and his team at Irwin Mitchell we have been very lucky to find an incredibly supportive legal partner who actively assists us in building our business." – CEO, Unizest