Duncan has considerable experience of advising clients on a varied caseload of commercial disputes, with particular expertise in:
- Contractual disputes
- Professional negligence
- Banking and finance litigation
- Pension disputes
- Fraud and dishonesty
- The enforcement of restrictive covenants.
Duncan qualified as a solicitor in 2001.
- Acting for a manufacturer in a claim against an employee for the misappropriation of over £300,000, obtaining injunctive relief over relevant assets within 24 hours of being instructed.
- Advising beneficiaries of Jersey-based trusts in a professional negligence claim after a demand from HMRC following the amendment of trust documents by solicitors.
- Acting for a football club, an interested party, in successfully defending judicial review proceedings seeking to quash the planning permission for the development of its new stadium.
- Acting for a clothing manufacturer in successfully resisting an application for an injunction relating to the sale of complex and specialised manufacturing equipment.
"Duncan Hope is a first class litigator who clients value for a commercial approach to their legal problems. He has an eye for detail and keeps calm in even the most fraught situations." - Legal 500, 2023
"Duncan Hope has consistently provided objective advice and retained a professional approach to eloquently lead a consistent and robust strategy whilst maintaining dignified and respectful approach to the other party and their representatives." - Legal 500, 2023
'Leading Individual - Band 3' - Chambers & Partners, 2022
“Duncan Hope is a standout commercial litigator, able to engage with the client and rapidly understand the context of their dispute. He communicates well, ensuring all members of the client team have the information they need to participate. He listens to advice and considers it in context, acting accordingly…
…Duncan Hope is the partner that stands out for me. He has a quiet unassuming manner but a brain that is agile, sharp and informed. He quickly gets to understand your problem and your angles and desires. You quickly trust that he has understood you and that he will give you the best advice that he can. He explains the good and the bad of the situation and the risks of the options available. I recommend him to anyone.” - Legal 500 2022
"He is extremely approachable and always available to provide quick, tailored commercial advice." – Chambers & Partners, 2021 (Leading Individual - Band 4)
Duncan Hope is an "experienced and very capable commercial litigation solicitor – he is the person to go to in complicated company law matters." – Legal 500, 2021
He provides "proactive and detailed technical knowledge, with a commercial and considered approach." – Chambers & Partners, 2020
Duncan Hope is "intelligent and strategic, with a good balanced mind," and "an effective leader who knows exactly what he's doing." – Chambers & Partners, 2018