I am a Partner in the Serious Injury team in Sheffield. I work on cases involving head, spinal cord, multiple orthopaedic and/or psychiatric injuries.
I have the same rights of audience as a Barrister in Court, which means I am able to represent my clients at interlocutory Court hearings, such as case management conferences and pre-trial reviews.
I am passionate about charity and community work, and over the last few years have been involved in a variety of fundraising activities for several charities. In 2012, I slept outside Sheffield Cathedral to raise money and awareness of homelessness.
I am also a Trustee at Headway Derby, a charity helping people cope with the effects of brain injuries. In my role I try to maximise the quality of service so that individuals and their families have the right support, guidance and skills in place to move forwards after a traumatic injury.
- Our client suffered a non-accidental injury at a very young age. We made an application to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) and secured an award of £3.3 million.
- Our client, a young adult with autism, suffered a severe psychiatric reaction after a road traffic collision. We secured an £80,000 settlement.
- Heavily involved in two cases where the individuals had suffered from sustained physical, emotional and sexual abuse, in an application to CICA. We ended up securing the maximum award under the scheme of £500,000.
- Our client was left paraplegic after a spinal cord injury. He then developed a syrinx. The case settled at a negotiation meeting for £3.2m. The settlement also allowed him to return to Court in the event his condition deteriorated further.
- I helped secure compensation and a bespoke rehabilitation package for a client with serious traumatic brain injury. The case settled for £5.5m.
What Is The Most Rewarding Aspect Of Your Role?
I thoroughly enjoy being part of a process which helps individuals who are at their most vulnerable overcome their injuries and maximise their quality of life after suffering from serious injuries.
What Do You Do Outside The Office?
In my spare time I enjoy going to the gym, reading, relaxing with friends and family, watching sport and socialising.
"David Withers is an up and coming star who is willing to take on and fight the most difficult cases to obtain a result for his client. Despite this difficult case load he is almost always successful, obtaining great outcomes for his client despite the difficulties he faces." – Legal 500, 2020
"My life has completely changed now and I couldn’t be happier. A big thank you for all your hard work with the case and a thank you to everyone at Irwin Mitchell for all the support I’ve had." - Anonymous
"All members of the team working for me on my case worked with the utmost professional approach to all situations throughout, they not only supported me but also my family. The team were extremely hard working, trustworthy and very friendly. I view them as friends."
"We have worked alongside David on several cases. Throughout a case David and his team work exceptionally well as part of the rehabilitation multi-disciplinary team. He strives to maintain client centred rehabilitation as core whilst running the legal case concurrently. He ensures a high level of communication with the MDT which leads to the smooth delivery of the rehabilitation package. This allows the optimum outcome for the client." - Anna Wilkinson, Managing Director at More Rehab Ltd.