‘Around 50 Other Guests’ Also Reported To Be Ill After Reception
A woman who developed norovirus symptoms days after her brother’s wedding at a hotel has called on specialist lawyers to help her gain answers regarding the ‘nightmare’.
Laura Jean, 40, from Catshill, developed symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and a stiff neck and muscles two days after her brother’s wedding reception at the Bromsgrove Hotel and Spa.
She contacted her brother about the problems and was left stunned when he confirmed that around 50 other guests had been in touch to say they had been unwell too. Laura booked an emergency appointment with her GP. Following tests, it was confirmed she had norovirus.
Now, Laura has instructed Irwin Mitchell’s specialist public health team to investigate the issues she has faced and help her discover how the problems came to emerge.
Irwin Mitchell’s market leading public health team have represented thousands of people who have suffered illness after eating at restaurants or hotels. They also have vast experience of handling cases for groups of people who have fallen ill after attending weddings or other large gatherings. Last year, they secured a six-figure settlement for victims of a salmonella outbreak at the Real China restaurant in Eastleigh in 2014.
Expert Opinion“We are hugely concerned by what Laura has been through and have already started investigations into her experience.
Through our work, we have seen time and time again how gastric illness issues of this kind cannot be downplayed. In many cases, the problems can prove hugely disruptive to people’s personal and working lives, while in some instances they can also lead to long-term health conditions and even death.
With this in mind, we are determined to provide answers to help Laura try and come to terms with her ordeal. We are keen to hear from anyone who may also have been affected.”
Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor
Laura attended her brother’s wedding reception at Bromsgrove Hotel and Spa, which is managed by Britannia Hotels Ltd, on Friday, 9 August, this year. Sadly, by Sunday, she was very unwell.
She recalled: “I was in an incredibly bad way and could not believe what had happened. When my brother told me that a lot of other people were also ill I couldn’t believe it. It remains very difficult to think about the fact that this was my brother’s special day and now I’ll only remember it for the wrong reasons.”
Laura needed to take a full week off from her job as an assembly operator as a result of the illness. She also suffers from ulcerative colitis and has seen the symptoms of that condition worsen significantly since the wedding reception.
She added: “Before the illness, my colitis would flare up every two months or so. However, since the norovirus it has been almost constant and I have had severe swelling and inflammation across my stomach. It has been an absolute nightmare.
“I am hugely frustrated and feel I deserve some answers regarding what went wrong. I hope that taking this action will mean that lessons can be learned so no one else faces the same problems in the future.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling public health cases